PDA

View Full Version : Just put in a brand new drag in and tie rods...Wow!

Goldeni245
11-26-2012, 04:34 PM
Over the last couple months, I've put in new shocks, new lower ball joints, steering shock, new LCA bushings as part of a suspension overhaul and it has been good so far. The car has been much more stable on smooth roads, but there was still some very prominent shaking in the steering wheel when going over bumps and general instability and wobbliness of the steering while traveling at high speeds on the freeway.

I figured that the only thing that could be causing the remaining instability were the tie rods and drag link. I suspected the Upper control arms might have caused it too but after some research, I found out that the UCAs are very robust and usually last a very very long time compared to everything else.

I changed out the drag link tie rods assembly with a brand new one from Meyle and wow, the car just handles perfectly now. The steering is sublime, perfectly weighted, centered, solid and much tighter. It was so sloppy before. It's extremely responsive, turns on a dime and handles pot holes and bad roads with aplomb without without violently plowing around. I drove my neighbors C43 with 100,000 miles on with the original suspension and I have to say that mine feels WAY better.

When the mechanic pulled off the old drag link and tie rods, they were dangling like a bag of bones. The joints were just melted away. There was no way of finding out they were worn from just squeezing or tugging at the tie rods or tugging at the wheels etc, I learned this the hard way when the mechanic initially did all those tests and told me the drag link was in very good shape. He actually told me that it was my motor mounts that was causing the instability which I knew was absolutely untrue.

I highly suggest changing out the tie rods and drag link for anyone who wants to improve the handling of the their W202. Mine started to go at 145,000 miles. i replaced it at 153,000.

202brabus
11-26-2012, 05:43 PM
http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o240/hpconcept/demotivationus_Cool-story-bro-_130246830074.jpg

Goldeni245
11-26-2012, 06:25 PM
lol, yeah yeah i know I sounded way to enthusiastic.

202brabus
11-26-2012, 06:50 PM
Hahaha!