PDA

View Full Version : D@mnit freaking tranny problem

wizo
10-26-2003, 07:59 PM
I seems like one problem after another.... I am driving home from my moms doing about 80mph all of a sudden the rpms go up and im going nowhere. I pull off the interstate put the car into park then back to D and its fine. Then I get back on the interstate and at about 70mph it goes back into neutral. I decided to limp home at about 50mph in 3rd gear. When I got off my exit it went back to neutral so I stopped and from then on I had to leave it in 2nd. When I got home and put it in P then went to bring it inside nothing at all it would not move.
I really need some help I cant get to school w/o my car and have no way of getting to work either.

Thanks in Advance

Christopher Partain

jnolte
10-26-2003, 08:15 PM
ouch im sorry but sounds like u need a new tranny...ask my freind 98_benzo bout that one:(

kameraguy
10-27-2003, 07:52 AM
Dude :(

A few of us have been where you are...and it's not pretty.

Search the club for Transmission issues and you will see...

A lot of us who had tranny problems had a 97 5-speed auto...which car do you have?

For me, my problem was a frequent mis-shift.. Transmission had 90K...cost $2500 to replace a clutch pack.

I got away pretty lucky considering Nokia had an issue similar to yours, I think around 70K...but unfortunately his required a tranny rebuild whuich would have cost at least $5,000...so he opted for a new tranny...

Take it to a trusted mechanic...hopefully it's not bad...but unfortunately when it comes to the tranny....nothing is ever cheap :(

98_Benzo
10-27-2003, 08:20 AM
Dude, sorry to hear about that :( I just got my car out of the tranny shop at $3,370 later for JUST a re-build on my tranny. I was going about 35 MPH down a street and my RPM's shot way up and the car wouldn't go anywhere and it just rolled. So, I let off the gas and then applied the gas again and it moved for a little ways and then it did it again. I finally got it home and the car would not go into reverse at all, it would just sit in reverse and make noises. Then I had to drive it to the tranny shop and it wouldn't go into 1st, 4th, and 5th gears. Anyways, sorry to hear about that, I know what it's like. I JUST got my car out of the shop about 3 weeks ago. It was in there for 7 weeks (I had no car). Good luck though!!!

wizo
10-27-2003, 12:03 PM
Kameraguy- I have the 5speed auto as well

Thanks for the info.... I sure hope it does not take 7weeks to get fixed like yours did "98_Benzo".

Tomorrow I am going to have it towed down to Ron's European to have him diagnose the problem. A member from Mercedesshop.com said he thinks it could be the speed sensors or the shifter location switch went bad.

Today I reset the ECU and drove it around the block and as soon as the car wanted to go into 3rd it went into neutral.

I will let you guys know what happens and what the repair cost will be.

Regards,
Christopher

wizo
10-29-2003, 10:30 AM
Well the car is in the shop right now and they called back to let me know my fluid was BLACK. So they are going to pull the pan and check it out. Hopefully its just a stuck solenoid or something cheaper than a new tranny.

fastmayte
11-02-2003, 06:21 PM
hey, i work at a dealership and we had a mustang that did that once, would go in to neutral inthe final gear. they said a gear was broken or something, they rebuilt the tranny on it. but then again, thats a ford.
hopefully your's would be just a fluid change. hope the clutches aren't bad. good luck

oh and if u need another tranny, check car-part.com, i've seen used tranny's on there for around 6-700.
time for a manual conversion???? ha

Alps
11-02-2003, 11:29 PM
i had to have my tranny replaced, still not entirely happy with it tho, whne the car is cold and hasnt been driven, if you put your foot down, it revs and doesnt go anwhere, then surges forward!

this is only whilst it is cold for the forst 5 minutes then no problem. this is a brand new tranny, any ideas? i may take it back under warrenty buit last time i took it back the diagnostics computer showed no faults!

fastmayte
11-03-2003, 06:27 AM
ummm how'z the fluid level when the car is first started and really cold? might be a tad bit low.

Andrew C280
12-30-2003, 01:51 PM
just though I would ad my self to the list of people ticked off with mercedes transmissions, mine went at 109000Km had it replaced after fighting with mercedes and getting no where.

MBATF
01-01-2004, 09:15 AM
Sorry to heard your tranny problem.
and Myself been one out of 10-15 people here on borad, i can tell u this... You ar elooking at big $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ to replace a new tranny...
it coasted me $45000 to replace teh new tranny...

sf280
01-01-2004, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by MBATF

it coasted me $45000 to replace teh new tranny...

$45000 - damn, you should have just bought a new car :confused: ;) jk

Andrew C280
01-01-2004, 09:48 AM
it cost me $810 total brand new tranny installed

MBATF
01-01-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by sf280
$45000 - damn, you should have just bought a new car :confused: ;) jk LOL oops i mean $4500

Andrew C280 it cost me $810 total brand new tranny installed
Man where did u get that deal from? was the tranny used? or re-built? also did you have teh new updated tranny ECU? what years is your car anyway????

well,, see i had to get my car fix ASAP at the time , and i didn't have much choices to make or to shop around....and evry shop are offerr me a deal are just few $100-$300 off from dealer prices..so i decided to just get it done at the dealer, plus that $4500 was also include the majore $1000 tune up...

choppers_rule
01-02-2004, 12:14 PM
Crapppp......am I gonna have a trannie problem too??? I own a '94 C280 with 103,000 miles.:( Knock on wood, hopefully not.

MBATF
01-02-2004, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by choppers_rule
Crapppp......am I gonna have a trannie problem too??? I own a '94 C280 with 103,000 miles.:( Knock on wood, hopefully not. Go change ur tranny flue ASAP and it will hopefully save you more times.

jnolte
01-02-2004, 12:37 PM
Originally posted by MBATF
Go change ur tranny flue ASAP and it will hopefully save you more times.

Yes go change ur fluid but the 4spd Automatic in the old style w202s are much better matienence wise then the 5sp automatics.

choppers_rule
01-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Yes....I did service my tranny at 100,00 miles. Is there anybody here with the high mileage (over 100,000) without having tranny problem? so I can feel better.
May be I should just buy a Honda or Toyota, too many problems with european cars!!!!!:D

MBATF
01-02-2004, 01:06 PM
Yes....I did service my tranny at 100,00 miles. Is there anybody here with the high mileage (over 100,000) without having tranny problem? so I can feel better.
May be I should just buy a Honda or Toyota, too many problems with european cars!!!!!:D if u have ur tranny flue changed it should be ok for a while, my tranny gone out at 90,000 miles and its a 1999 now the car is at 110,000miles

there ar epoeple here don't have the problem yet due to teh tranny flue chage and some otehrs are just lucky or with the way tehy drive(soft and nice):D

yeah i thought about geta Japanese car, but dude....i just can't see myself drive a japanese car....had a 98 lexus es300 & teh benz in teh same time..and i ended up sold teh Lexus...and kept teh benz..:bandit:

choppers_rule
01-02-2004, 01:59 PM
So how often should I change the trans oil, so my trans will last forever??????

jnolte
01-02-2004, 02:25 PM
So how often should I change the trans oil, so my trans will last forever??????

60-70k

MBATF
01-02-2004, 03:28 PM
So how often should I change the trans oil, so my trans will last forever?????? if u drive liek gramma and pa then should last as long as the car will live.

but like Jnolte said once u get ur tranny change u can last for prox 40k-50k miles till u change teh tranny flue again. and it will prolong the life of ur tranny.