PDA

View Full Version : 1997 I6 C280 sport rear rotors question

thegame
12-04-2012, 10:49 AM
I bought this High Carbon rear rotors from Tire Rack and my mechanic installed them about two weeks ago. When I cleaning my wheels yesterday I noticed that there was a ring around the rotor that the pads never touch because they aren't that big. I marked it with the red arrow in the picture. Now is this normal? Did I get the right rotors? because this fit hey fit perfectly. Any ideas. I don't feel anything wrong when I drive they stop fine , but I'm afraid that they might rust there.

anf6789
12-04-2012, 01:05 PM
yeah thats not part off the braking surface. you can see the "crosshatched" machining pattern on the part the pad touches. You are all good.

thegame
12-04-2012, 07:14 PM
I see ok. With the oem rotors where was no gap like this, how come they have this gap and fit with out a problem

97C28O
12-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Thats interesting you got the two pin caliper. I have 97 Sport with 1 pin. I've been having issues wiht my rears squealing a WHOLE LOT. This is my second set of brakes to test, 1st was BALO Rotors w/ PBR Deluxe pads, it seemed that 1 rotor wore differently (looks glazed)... 2nd is Centric Plain w/ Akebono Euro pads.. the noise was gone for awhile but it came back and is frequent now... I also tried the Squeal Doctor rotor spray (metalic like spray on the rotor), noise went away but it came back after about 100 miles... What can it be!!

anf6789
12-05-2012, 07:14 AM
Maybe there is a problem with the caliper 97c280?

anf6789
12-05-2012, 07:16 AM
Honestly not sure why there would be a gap this time. If everything's working fine I don't think there's a problem. Unless someone want to chime in.

thegame
12-05-2012, 01:18 PM
yea that is what puzzles me that every thing works fine and it was easy to install. Everything fits perfectly, I don't get it man. Regarding the pin calipers when you buy rear pads at the dealer or at tire rack they ask you whether you have one ore two pins. That might mean that not all 1997 sport c280s have two pins like mine. for the squealing did you put untisquealing grease on the back of the pads when you installed them, also check if there is any movement because vibration is what causes squealing of the brakes. If you have checked everything then the only thing left are your calipers.

Vetruck
12-05-2012, 09:37 PM
That gap is very common on most cars.

Vetruck
12-06-2012, 08:39 AM
yea that is what puzzles me that every thing works fine and it was easy to install. Everything fits perfectly, I don't get it man. Regarding the pin calipers when you buy rear pads at the dealer or at tire rack they ask you whether you have one ore two pins. That might mean that not all 1997 sport c280s have two pins like mine. for the squealing did you put untisquealing grease on the back of the pads when you installed them, also check if there is any movement because vibration is what causes squealing of the brakes. If you have checked everything then the only thing left are your calipers.

The cars that have ASR (Anti Slip Regulation) have dual pin calipers and the cars without the traction control for the most part seem to have the single pin on NAPA parts online. I do not see a problem using a dual pin caliper even if you do not have the sensor hooked up.