PDA

View Full Version : Black deposits on exhaust tips.

Denlasoul
10-26-2003, 10:23 PM
Hello all:

I was wondering if the black deposits on my exhaust tips are any indication of my car not functioning properly? I have not had any engine lights (havent checked for missed codes), and there does not appear to be a major performance issue. Just curious.

Thanks

jnolte
10-26-2003, 10:31 PM
I think it is just normal Denla.

KenzBenz
10-26-2003, 11:24 PM
can the black deposits be cleaned?

alhacker
10-26-2003, 11:33 PM
i have the same issue when i asked the experts they said its okay but the reason is that the car is burning more fuel than it needs fuel is too rich in fuel/air mixture.... solution is to clean the fuel injectors and get it CO calibrated.... they also told me not to do it only if my mpg is changing significantly

CKlasse
10-27-2003, 12:17 AM
Den,

It's carbon build up. This what clogs up exhaust valve, cats, etc. It shouldn't stick onto stainless steel.. so a lil cleaning solution before a carwash would do.

Also to keep your engine/exhaust clean..try to REV up your car more often or try to drive your car harder. High RPM = better combustion, cleaner engine (due to all the carbon burning out), and so on.

Alhacker is right..unless you feel power lost or bad mpg, don't worry much about it. It's 'almost' normal. :) I usually get BG 44K into the fuel rail once a year to keep the injectors and combustion chamber clean of carbon.

Eurosport
10-27-2003, 02:26 AM
you have to understand DLS has a custom built tray set up on the outside part of the rear windows; it's for the time when a pigeon thinks about taking a poop on his clean car ;)

hehehe
i washed my car today lol

i haven't found a solution yet that makes that black stuff underneath the tips or inside the tips to come off i donno, don't feel like sitting and scrubbing there a whole day either

CKlasse
10-27-2003, 06:06 AM
Use this at your own RISK... but I usually use CARB Cleaner. It WILL ruin your paint if you spray it on the body! Spray on the HOT tips - wipe after 5 seconds. Done! :) Try to do this on a lil area first.

Renn 208
10-27-2003, 06:29 AM
As I learned from pnsji, Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish works great.

Denlasoul
10-27-2003, 07:56 AM
Originally posted by Renn 208
As I learned from pnsji, Mother's Mag and Aluminum polish works great.

Yeah, I use that too. Just wanted to see if there was anything that could help prevent the buildup. That MOther's stuff works well, but you gotta put in elbow grease.

Thanks all for the input!

DLS

jnolte
10-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Eurosport
you have to understand DLS has a custom built tray set up on the outside part of the rear windows; it's for the time when a pigeon thinks about taking a poop on his clean car ;)

hehehe

i haven't found a solution yet that makes that black stuff underneath the tips or inside the tips to come off i donno, don't feel like sitting and scrubbing there a whole day either

Oh wow you dont even know!!! At the latest meet we all were looking at each others cars. They were all dirty and nasty from the day before because of course here in seattle is going to be rainy.. We look at DLS car and its CLEAN i am like WTF DLS how is your car always clean?? He dident wash it that day and he was driving on the freeway all day yesterday he said...I swear he is just lucky or something, teach me your ways mang :)

moebiusgold
11-06-2003, 07:29 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
Use this at your own RISK... but I usually use CARB Cleaner. It WILL ruin your paint if you spray it on the body! Spray on the HOT tips - wipe after 5 seconds. Done! :) Try to do this on a lil area first.
How about squirting it on the rag first, then wiping. You would have to be a clutz to get the paint then. I take an old rag to it at the end of every wash ( about every 200 or so miles cuz it rains tooo much here) and it seems to mostly come off. I get agressive once in a while.

J Irwan
11-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Originally posted by Eurosport

hehehe

Dude if you use the right stuff you don't have to spent the whole day to shine the tips :p

http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0RwDPAmwT!4ar2nrdvbFUO9BaoPvihp5qxdP27uy5QENmXOkEn I93A95OI*I7SagXsFLBjpgj*wNle*VDTAGJbWngZLMTM3y0weF MpfVyqKA/102-0225_IMG.JPG

Regardz,

CKlasse
11-06-2003, 08:51 PM
You ever had dual exhaust, J?

J Irwan
11-06-2003, 08:53 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
You ever had dual exhaust, J?

nope

I think I know why you ask

that opening on the right is for the rear "fixed" towed hook :p

you'd probably see this better on silver or bright color car :D

Regardz,

JRE320
11-06-2003, 08:59 PM
nm

jnolte
11-06-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
nope

I think I know why you ask

that opening on the right is for the rear "fixed" towed hook :p

you'd probably see this better on silver or bright color car :D

Regardz,

Yeah i always thought my C36 looked uneven, i was thinking of doing a dual exhaust but never really acted on the subject. It would look cool though