PDA

View Full Version : VERY Special C230k

axn
10-27-2003, 09:35 AM
Anyone knows of a special C230k - 202 only forum?

C230k - 202 ONLY. That's it!

TIA

OR, could be one started here or should I start one my self.
I prefer not to....

98_Benzo
10-27-2003, 10:35 AM
HUH?....:confused: Okay, let me get this right.....You want a forum with people that drive W202 C230K's ONLY ...:confused: OKAY!! So, that is going to cover 2 years (99 - 00), so what if I put a supercharger on my C230? Could I join that forum then? :D

c230kompresssed
10-27-2003, 11:12 AM
Why? what kinda questions would you ask about a 230k that a regular or an AMG 202 owner wouldn't know?

jnolte
10-27-2003, 11:23 AM
Well hey thats no fair!!! I mean you joinded this forum and it coulda been only cool people alowed forum then what would you do??????:confused:

axn
10-27-2003, 12:35 PM
Let me explain.

I drive 1996 C230K Sport Sedan (German version 196HP) for last 6 months. Great car, but it doesn't have enough power.

The engine seems to be strong, suspension is good and I am sure some mods can be made to make it faster.

Now, I know absolutely nothing about the car so I have been going from
forum to forum like an idiot.

Going trough hundreds of posts just to find out that this chip is not available or not working for my particular model etc.

I am the only one since 1996 and before who want's more HP?

I feel like a reject. There many forums for CLK, "almost" the same
engine. C230k/203 again "almost" the same engine etc.

That's why I ask about the car specific forum.
i.e:
C230k/w202 up to 1998
then the usual categories, General, Electrical, Engine mods, Suspension, Body mods, etc.

Really nothing complicated - just that model.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Answers:
jnolte Well hey thats no fair!!! I mean you joinded this forum and it coulda been only cool people alowed forum then what would you do??????

A: Don't get it ....
--------------------------------------------------------------
98_Benzo HUH?.... Okay, let me get this right.....You want a forum with people that drive W202 C230K's ONLY ... OKAY!! So, that is going to cover 2 years (99 - 00), so what if I put a supercharger on my C230? Could I join that forum then?
A: a) you have the years wrong.
b) once you put the K on then you would like to know more about it - sure you will go to that forum.
------------------------------------------------------------
c230kompresssed Why? what kinda questions would you ask about a 230k that a regular or an AMG 202 owner wouldn't know?
A: I am not sure, but:
a) I tried that and didn't get one answer (on other forum)
b) I think that it would make it easier and more logical to have a C230K/202 section.
-------------------------------------------------------------
After all, how many cars has been build? Who has made the engine mods already?

I do appreciate all the answers, at least something is happening.

Now, this looks like a nice site and adding up a particular subsection will not take to much work at all.

I had and still have few forums (not car or MB related) and it's not a big deal.

98_Benzo
10-27-2003, 05:13 PM
dude, I am sure almost anyone here can answer your questions on modifying your car. There are quite a few people here with modified C230K's and there are some people here that just know a lot about the 202's, so throw us all a question. Good Luck with the modifying.

J Irwan
10-27-2003, 07:47 PM
The way I see it
your car is 230K
the only different than the rest of W202 is the freaking engine

All other are the same with the rest of W202.

I don't think there will be a dedicated forum that talks about 230K engine modification

after all given it is more tunable than other Mercedes NA engine, there still not much can be done to it.

There are couple members who has 230K engine from w202 and W203 that did modification on the engine such as chips, Puller, intake, exhaust
that's pretty much it.
If you want to take it further doing port polishing, custom exhaust like BMS exhaust, custom header...etc... then you could ask in this forum..

After all it's not like you're going to do all off those mod..

Sorry I may sound harsh, but your point of having a dedicated W202 230K forum is just doesn't make any sense...

Regardz,

axn
10-28-2003, 07:24 AM
Cool, I'll shoot your way.

he only different than the rest of W202 is the freaking engine

AND the suspension and the interior and maybe brakes and who nows what more.

Here we go. (you ask for it) :)

1)How is the kompressor car anyway? Is it good or very good car/engine? Any knowing weak points?
How come they change the Kompressor after 1998?

2)It's slow, BUT what are the most basic mods that can be done to it.
I would imagine the chip and pulley would be the way to go.

3)Anybody done that? What happen after done?
Motor still good? Really feel the improvements?
How much more HP did you get out of it?
What system did you use?

4) Other mods? Sparkplugs, filter, intake.
What will the improvement be?

5) Can turbo or NOS be added? Hey, just asking:)

6)I have Sport suspension. How is it different from the others (yours)?
The car is stiff/mellow (nice to drive and still holds)
I am not sure I would like to touch it for now. I can be to low, the roads in Costa Rica sucks royally!

7)I already put a tuned exhaust, so that takes care of that. What about if I loose the catalyzer, that should give me some HP?!
(We have Tech here once a year and I can always put it back)

No, I am not planing to OPEN the engine and start screwing with it. Just easy outside mods are good enough for me.

Brake system is excellent - that takes care of that.
I already have opera rear spoiler, plus 17" wheels and 225/45 tires.

Next: Maybe some outside body mods:
mirrors with flashers, SL grill.

I must of forget some easy ones - enough for now anyway. Any suggestion are welcome.

Is/was anybody racing with the C230K?

Thanks for the previous answers.
Looking forward to the next ones ;)

BTW: Let me introduce my self.
My name is George, born in europe (Czech), grew up in Canada, living in Costa Rica.
Driving, Hmm - you guest!

TIA

Luwin1026
10-28-2003, 07:48 AM
Hey George,

I was an owner of a 1999 C230K, and though I don't have much knowledge/experience with pre-99 C230k's, here's my experience.

More power? Pulley and chip are the easiest way to go. I chose a Kleemann pulley kit and Upsolute chip tuning, and boy does it make a big difference. Stock s/c was putting out around 5psi according to Autometer boost gauge, and after pulley, it was pushing out a healthy 11psi max boost. Motor ran fine without any signs of detonation - the pulley kit is a complete kit with colder spark plugs and MAF relocation. Power delivery is almost the same in terms of the power curve, just more. :D

Air filter, I used K&N - not much noticeable gain, probably all in the head. But you hear stories of the oil in the K&N causing problems with the MAS, etc., so I would stick with stock or fabricate a custom cold air intake.

Sport suspension is a little different in that the shocks are firmer, I believe. But still advisable to change to a performance aftermarket shock (Bilstein, Koni, etc.) when lowering the car.

Brakes are adequate, but with increased power, you are going to want better brakes. There are a good number of options available, whether it be a simple cross-drilled/slotted rotor swap with performance pads or a complete big-brake setup. Check out J_Irwan's thread about fitting the AMG C32 brakes on the car - that's probably one of the best bang-for-your-buck braking mods as other complete big brake kits (AP Racing, Brembo, etc.) are in the $2000+ range.

MBATF
10-28-2003, 02:25 PM
AXN:

See once you come down a little, then rest of us will be happier to help you with your questions.

This site have very well & interesting history & stories from begining of www.benzsport.com became www.Bnzsport.com & www.Club202.com

axn
10-29-2003, 07:08 PM
Thanks Luwin1026 and the rest.

Really appreciated your help!
I'll be doing more diging. ;)

Any W202 - C230K users out there?

SLAMMED_C
10-29-2003, 07:46 PM
I have a W202 C230 Kompressor.

axn
10-29-2003, 09:02 PM
Hi SLAMMED_C,
Have you done anything to it?

SLAMMED_C
10-30-2003, 07:08 PM
Hi SLAMMED_C,
Have you done anything to it?
Ummmm.. yeh u could say that!
check my siggy... and check out my cardomain page.

axn
10-30-2003, 08:54 PM
Cool, at least someone did something to C230k

The - "Kleemann pulley/boost kit on order- high end kit, comes with MAS relocation kit as well" sounds good. Can hardly wait to see how you like it. :)

? Upsolute chip ?
I got email from them last week that their NO chip available for my engine (but YOU don't have the same car or engine like I have - isn't yours W203?)

I will go with this:
www.SpeedTuningUSA.com

Here is the info I got from them a week ago:

"Hi George!
Please check the specs in the order/buy section. The standard Power Chip would give you up to plus 20HP and 22Nm torque. The complete hardware kit, including pulley, cold air intake, belt and Power Chip would get you plus 42HP and 48Nm torque. Price for the Power Chip alone would be US$ 275.00, for the complete hardware kit including Power chip US$ 999.00. You would have to send in the ECU for the reflash of the new software, the hardware we would send back with the modified ECU and you can install it by yourself then. Not all the links are up yet, please be patient.
Best regards, Oliver Bentson"

Then I asked them about my German version engine/car (196hp-stock) and here is the answer:

"No, doesn't make a difference, I had the same engine in Europe and the performance was almost 50HP, so don't worry it works great"
--------------------------------------------------------------

That's really good deal for $1000 "if" it works. AND THAT IS THE QUESTION.
How those two compare (Kleemann vs SpeedTuningUSA? Anyone knows?

Anybody out there has it on the car???????
OR knows anything about the company.

You sure put and changed a lots of stuff on your car. Nice fit on the wheels, nice color (I love black).

How about interior pictures?

Anybody else has C230k W202

Cheers,

SLK Boy
10-31-2003, 11:24 AM
Luwin had a w202 C230K......his car was featured in Euro Tuner magazine.

1)How is the kompressor car anyway? Is it good or very good car/engine? Any knowing weak points?
How come they change the Kompressor after 1998?

I don't believe MB changed the Kompressor during the W202. It went from a C220, to a C230 (non supercharged), to the C230K.

Yes, Upsolute makes a chip for the C230K. Luwin had it.

I believe Powerchips also makes one. It's probably the easiest way to make power on a forced induction car.

4) Other mods? Sparkplugs, filter, intake.
What will the improvement be?

Filters usually increase power in forced induction cars as well. Sparkplugs usually won't increase it too much unless your plugs are really worn. Exhaust might give a little more if you increase the diameter on forced induction cars as well.

6)I have Sport suspension. How is it different from the others (yours)?

Sport suspension has different shocks and springs. If you want more aggressive, then definitely look to aftermarket sport springs/shocks like Luwin suggested.

98_Benzo
11-07-2003, 04:57 PM
Alls I got to say...if he gets a "special" place for his C230"K"....then us Suzuki Swift owners get one too...:D

jnolte
11-07-2003, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by 98_Benzo
Alls I got to say...if he gets a "special" place for his C230"K"....then us Suzuki Swift owners get one too...:D

Hell yeah!! Me and 98_benzo are starting a Suzuki swift club!! Only swifts tho! No geo metros! The benzo is gunna be the daily driver and the swift is gunna be the special occasions!!! its my VERY special Suzuki Swift 3 cyl!!

Goldeni245
11-28-2003, 08:15 PM
NooOOooOo, i responded to this too late!!

But I'll put in my 2 cents anyways.

So far right now, I ONLY have an Upsolute chip on the car. I haven't dynoed it, probably won't ever, but what upsolute says, I'm suppose to now have 200hp and 230lbft tq vs. the stock 185hp and 200lbft of tq.

The chip has fully kicked in by now and i feel a big enough difference from stock. 0-60 times i didn't record but i'm sure it's less then 8.0 seconds with the chip. Maybe 7.5-7.8? Plus with the chip, I DEFINATELY feel the extra torque, kind damn, I feel the force that pushes me into the back of the seat, it's a great feeling mixed with the loud noise of the engine.

With the lighter pulley + the chip, i'm sure the c230k can beat any of the stock 3.2 litre benzes. so it'll definately be no slouch.

Interior is nice, i really like the perforated sport seats and the sport steering wheel.