PDA

View Full Version : Staggering wheel height as well as wheel width

Vetruck
12-08-2012, 09:59 AM
Anyone tried this on W202?

I have been contemplating doing a few different ideas. I am definately going with staggered width wheels (ie 8" fronts, 9" rears)

What I am thinking also is wheel diameter stagger with 17" fronts and 18" rears. This looks nice on alot of cars, but wondering if it will give that sportier rake look on a W202 or would it look out of place.

THis idea comes from me playing with a few different tire height sizes because I am looking to pick up a little more rear end gear because I do not like taching at 3500rpms cruising downt he highway at 85. I have done a few calculations and can lower the rpm to 3200 Via using 245/40-18's (25.7" tall) in the rear combined with changing the rearend gear from 3.07 to a 2.87. THis car has plenty of power to pull along fine with decent MPG, I have to hold my foot up off the pedal right now not to overrev and people are passing me (roads are fast here in So Cal, can be normal at times for traffic to flow 90 in spots like the 405 north just past Irvine Spectrum area. Ive been known to run my truck up to 140 coming through that section in the late evening visiting a family member- its real easy to do there because of the issolation of traffic and onramps. ANyways, this car feels like its crawling and something needs to be done so I feel better taking it to Vegas and such without taching 35-38k for 4 hours straight.

My other option/delimia is that I have 4 50% tread BFG2's sitting in my garage that are only a year old that are 215/40-18's (24.7" tall) that would be nice to use. I could buy only rear tires to match and burn up all 4 tires on the front in the same time as the new rears. THis gives me the option of running 18x8 fronts with 215/40-18, and 18x9 rears with 245/40-18 with about an inch taller rear tire 9but the same diameter wheel.

The other thing I am looking at is running 17x7.5 fronts and 18x9 rears and just forget about using the old tires I have. I am leaning towards this with 225/40-17 fronts and 245/40-18 rears. Anyone with pics of staggared height wheels on a W202?

wichipong
12-08-2012, 01:54 PM
I wouldnt do it.... It'll look funny imho... i'd do staggered widths though any day.

anf6789
12-08-2012, 09:11 PM
with the same size wheels but a taller rear you probably wouldnt notice the variation too much. with a 17/18" f/r setup if it was the same style might not look too bad either, say a 17/18 AMG monoblock setup. but they are fairly heavy. 16" forged CLK wheels are the lightest 13Lbs or so, (e55 amg guys run them with slicks on the back for drag racing) those might be cool too, I had them and loved the look.

Vetruck
12-09-2012, 12:40 PM
I am really leaning on these since I want a notalgic Brabus look when I install the Brabus bodylit. I am not a big fan of aftermarket wheels, I like the performance factory wheel look.

http://oewheelsllc.com/Wheels_3/Wheels-for-Mercedes-Benz/Mercedes-Benz-AMG-Wheel-Silver_12. I do not want AMG on them since I am putting the Brabus center caps on, so I am leaning towards these replicas for that purpose. I was also looking at the Brabus MonoblockV wheels like Christopher has but I want staggard widths and those wheels are too hard to find in good shape used. Its hard to beat the cost of the link I put above- that is a throw away price at $478 a set of 4 staggared. Can;t find one Brabus wheel for that cost

Vetruck
12-09-2012, 12:41 PM
I am going fo this exact look on the car but in white

It will also have a front euro plate that reads exactly my Calif plate #.

I might even decide to paint the center of the wheels white leaving the crome lugnuts, wheel rivets, and chrome lip.