PDA

View Full Version : Like or Dislike?

vixen_w202
12-10-2012, 09:55 PM
I really HATE HATE chrome, and most of it on the car is gone now. I plastidipped the front grille and hood emblem, and I liked it so much I experimented by plastidipping the side door and fender moldings. I would have done the front and back bumpers, but I ran out of paint and I also decided to hold off on completing the rest until I get a 2nd opinion and comments/concerns from the forum.

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/slyvia_altima/IMG_00651.jpg

Better black or stock with the grey/chrome trim against the black?

Christopher
12-10-2012, 10:07 PM
i dont know what to say i guess i have to see it when its done, i kind of like how the color you had before matched with the tail light and clear lenses.
my only opinion is try getting rid of the red on the rims instead of anything else cuz it kind of throws the whole car off.i know when we go to SD and drop it it will look 1000x better, its a work in progress and it gonna look awesome.

kowalski
12-10-2012, 10:35 PM
only thing left is to drop that bit-h to the ground.
you running in stealth mode blackening your car?
have you thought about Rieger front/rear spoilers?
they look very nice on a w202

chimchongdlight
12-11-2012, 02:09 PM
i like the plastidipped moldings, I my was gonna do that on my sport, eventhough they're already black. plastidipping it black would give it an old school two tone look...looks good man

Mike51809
12-11-2012, 02:50 PM
Not a fan of all blacked out but its clean

SD202
12-12-2012, 08:50 AM
color match the moldings. The flat black makes it look like a cheap c180 espirit. YUCK. i only say that because when i had my trim painted black for that "espirit look" so many people on here were like " ew why would you make your U.S. spec elegance edition look like our cheap over seas versions. ROFL.

jc1kz
12-21-2012, 11:42 AM
I really HATE HATE chrome, and most of it on the car is gone now. I plastidipped the front grille and hood emblem, and I liked it so much I experimented by plastidipping the side door and fender moldings. I would have done the front and back bumpers, but I ran out of paint and I also decided to hold off on completing the rest until I get a 2nd opinion and comments/concerns from the forum.

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/slyvia_altima/IMG_00651.jpg

Better black or stock with the grey/chrome trim against the black?

So far so good, I agree the red on the rims does look a little out of place and so does the door keyhole, it is now glarinly bright against all that black....just my two cents....liking the black out.....your new name should be "W202 Black OPS" or "W202 Black Hawk"

Christopher
12-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Front bumper completed. All that's left is the back bumper and the blackout process is complete! (vixen_w202)

Christopher
12-21-2012, 09:25 PM
Lol ^^^ couldn't you just of logged out and logged yourself in

Vetruck
12-21-2012, 10:02 PM
I like it. looks much better to hide the molding so as to not stand out- makes it a non issue now looking at your car. People are just focusing on it because you presented it, otherwise no one would even be focused looking at it. leave the black it looks nice.

vixen_w202
12-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Agreed. The cheapest and most effective mod IMO I've done to my car so far.

Vetruck
12-22-2012, 01:29 AM
Are you doing it on the car (brush) or taking the moldings off and actually dipping them? I have read where you can simply peel that stuff back off at any time making the underneath look as good as prior to coating, is that true?

vixen_w202
12-22-2012, 01:45 AM
Spray, Just so there aren't brush marks. The door moldings are super easy to take off on the doors themselves, they are secured down by one Phillips each and then all you gotta do is slide it to the left to let free and then release it from the door. The door molding extensions you gotta be careful... There's really no way to get them off but carefully pry them. They are held on with pressure retention clips, so careful not to break them.

I kinda screwed up on the door moldings, because I did sand the moldings some to try and get the paint to stick. I know this is more of a semi-permanent paint job, but I really have no interest to go back to original, so sanding them is alright to me.

I haven't peeled this stuff off yet...but I will say when I sprayed it on I did it thick. The amazing thing about this stuff is there will be areas that look like it's running but even if that shows up, the way this stuff dries it just doesn't matter. It's pretty ridiculous how durable and professional looking this comes out for how cheap it is.

The bumpers aren't as easy or fun as the door moldings. Those you just gotta take lots of newspaper and masking tape and mask.

I finally did my front bumper yesterday, but it took me 2 hours just to prep it with masking for overspray prevention. As I have mentioned, I have to do the back bumper still and that will get done after Christmas. Then, it'll be finished.

Plastidip especially on a black car is like the equivelant of w202 stealth mode in a can :)

SD202
12-22-2012, 09:32 AM
Spray, Just so there aren't brush marks. The door moldings are super easy to take off on the doors themselves, they are secured down by one Phillips each and then all you gotta do is slide it to the left to let free and then release it from the door. The door molding extensions you gotta be careful... There's really no way to get them off but carefully pry them. They are held on with pressure retention clips, so careful not to break them.

I kinda screwed up on the door moldings, because I did sand the moldings some to try and get the paint to stick. I know this is more of a semi-permanent paint job, but I really have no interest to go back to original, so sanding them is alright to me.

I haven't peeled this stuff off yet...but I will say when I sprayed it on I did it thick. The amazing thing about this stuff is there will be areas that look like it's running but even if that shows up, the way this stuff dries it just doesn't matter. It's pretty ridiculous how durable and professional looking this comes out for how cheap it is.

The bumpers aren't as easy or fun as the door moldings. Those you just gotta take lots of newspaper and masking tape and mask.

I finally did my front bumper yesterday, but it took me 2 hours just to prep it with masking for overspray prevention. As I have mentioned, I have to do the back bumper still and that will get done after Christmas. Then, it'll be finished.

Plastidip especially on a black car is like the equivelant of w202 stealth mode in a can :)

theres a special trick to painting with plasti dip. It requires almost no masking because the over spray will rub away with a damp cloth. Im also well versed with sprayable plasti dip although i bought mine by the gallon directly from perfomix and mixed the reducer myself at a 50/50 mix that the TDS stated to use for automotive related projects. We sprayed my brothers entire audi in matte white. it was to hard to take care of. touch it once with a dirty hand and there were finger prints everywhere. So he eneded up just going matte black. Left it on for about 6 months before peeling it back. Paint is just as shiny as before. This stuff is actually really amazing and if you are having trouble with the bumpers / masking the trim. Shoot me a message on my phone and Ide be glad to give you a few pointers. We shot it through a cheap electric HVLP gun from home depot. Not thru the can. although on smaller projects i normally always grab a can. Plasti dip is a true love hate relationship.