PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a spring compresser to install rear pads?

toamend
10-28-2003, 05:04 AM
I've read about 50 threads on springs, but still have this basic question: I've got H&R sports on a 99 C43 and want to install thicker pads in the rear (#4)

1. do I need a compressor or other special tool to do it?
2. do I need to jack up both sides at the same time to reduce the load on the anti-sway bar?

Thanks mucho,
WTS

JRE320
10-28-2003, 06:35 AM
To answer your question. YES!!!!!!!!! :D :cool:

Renn 208
10-28-2003, 06:39 AM
In my experience, it's been easier to to jack up the rear diff and drop the lower control arms in the rear to change springs. The fronts however, are much easier to do with the proper klann Spring compressor. Although I believe that at least J Irwan and Speedybenz have changed out fronts and rears without the use of a spring compressor.

Whatever you do, just be safe and use jack stands. (Can't take too much for granted ya know?)

toamend
10-28-2003, 06:52 AM
It's only the rear that I need to change pads. So you're saying that jacking up the diff, then unbolting the lower control arms will take enough pressure off the rear spring to just pull out the pads?
Thanks

moedigga
10-28-2003, 07:23 AM
You will still need a Mercedes spring compressor-MOE

Renn 208
10-28-2003, 07:23 AM
Originally posted by toamend
It's only the rear that I need to change pads. So you're saying that jacking up the diff, then unbolting the lower control arms will take enough pressure off the rear spring to just pull out the pads?
Thanks

Yep, you'll need one jack for the diff, and a smaller jack to compress the lower control arm so that the spring does not pop out and kill you when you remove the bolt. Also, if you want to do this properly, MB recommends that you replace the bolt. I think it was something like $2 from the dealer. Sorry, I don't have a part number or anything, but I'm sure it won't be too tough to find a lower control arm bolt for your car.

CKlasse
10-28-2003, 08:31 AM
As renn said..its much easier to unbolt the rear lower arm. To put it back simply put the spring in place and jack up the lower arm slowly until you can put the bolt back on. You just have to make sure the spring is in the housing -- there is alot of unsprung weight going on there.

Spring compressor is nothing but hassles and most likely you won't need them for the rear.

toamend
10-28-2003, 08:37 AM
Thanks guys,
Once I finish up this rear end I can look into that hot new BMS C43 exhaust system!
WTS

speedybenz
10-28-2003, 08:43 AM
Toamend,

When you unbolt the lower control arm make sure you have a small jack under it because the spring will have a load on it. You will also need the jack to jack up the arm into place once you change the spring pad.

When you do this it might be easier to change out the camber arms at the same time.

Jeff

J Irwan
10-28-2003, 08:51 AM
Keep in mind

Before you unbolting that pivot bolt for the rear control arm,

You will also need to unbolt the shock and the the sway bar link from the lower control arm.

Then unbolt the pivot bolt. (from control arm to the car frame).

Before you take the bolt out make sure you jacked the control arm, that way when you take out the bolt completley the spring will not jump-out.
Becare full since tthe spring rate may cause the spring to come out and may hurt you.

After the pivot bolt is completely out then lowered the control arm slowly. At this point you should be able to take the spring out and the pad as well.

Once you get the hang of it.
It is a merely 15-20 min job per side... ;)

Regardz,

Renn 208
10-28-2003, 09:19 AM
As you might guess from the multiple posts on this subject. BE SAFE, and don't let a spring under load kill you.:D

toamend
10-28-2003, 09:32 AM
I've got it, jack stands, 2 jacks, be safe.

Jeff, I was going to ask you if I should do your adjustable arms at the same time, sounds like I should. thanks

jnolte
10-28-2003, 11:20 AM
I've got it, jack stands, 2 jacks, be safe.

Jeff, I was going to ask you if I should do your adjustable arms at the same time, sounds like I should. thanks

yeah we dont want your head popping off like a melon!!!!!!!!

toamend
10-28-2003, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
yeah we dont want your head popping off like a melon!!!!!!!!

Are you sure? .....If it did, there would be one more C43 for sale!

CKlasse
10-28-2003, 01:08 PM
Are you sure? .....If it did, there would be one more C43 for sale!

hmmm.. on second thought! :D :D
Seriously, I've seen an unsprung coil hit and penetrated concrete wall. Safety is first!

toamend
12-01-2003, 05:47 AM
Ok, I made an attempt on the spring pad change this weekend, and ended up having to delay the job (needed another 18mm socket, I only had one). Anyway, a couple more questions:

What is the linkage connected to some kind of electrical relay or sensor on the pass side rear lower control arm? Does that need to be unbolted too, along with the shock and swaybar links?

And what is the suggested placement of the jack used to compress and release the lower control arm while removing the spring, should it be directly below the pivot bolt, the spring, or the calpier mount bolt?

Sorry, after all of your warnings I wanted to ask more questions before proceeding. Thanks
WTS

C280 JR
12-01-2003, 08:57 AM
no you dont need a spring compressor for rear....if you lift your car high enough, and take off the shock, the spring will have so much gap that you will be able to pull it out with out compressing it

Elvir

ryhi
12-01-2003, 09:33 AM
how do i change the rear pads if i raise my car with a lift at a shop?

714guy
12-01-2003, 11:02 AM
no spring compressor needed. just three bolts( shock, end link, and control arm) and your done. put the car on a jack stand, then compress the conrtoll arm with the jack and then remove all three bolts and control arm swings down and your set. Really easy the fastest i've done it is 20 min per side. ;)

toamend
12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
Where on the control arm are you placing the jack to compress it?

Also, do you have that sensor or whatever it is on the rear pass side like I mentioned above?
Thanks

J Irwan
12-01-2003, 11:45 AM
right under the pivot bolt..

That the part of the control arm you need to jack/compress so that when the pivot bolt is out, these spring and control arm will not spring out.

Regardz,