PDA

View Full Version : Seriously interested in slowly acquiring parts for budget-minded M104 DiY turbo conversion

vixen_w202
12-29-2012, 02:56 AM
I couldn't sleep, and I figured I'd see what was going on the forums early this morning.

I have really fallen in love with my car, but I have hit a point where it simply lacks a lot of things I am looking for like performance and braking. I sat down right before Christmas and wrote down the things I want to do slowly over time with my car, and the one thing I had as the main priorities were a turbo conversion and some sort of brake swap front and rear from some AMG based model benz.

I'm a college student, so I simply can't do a cost-no-object turbo conversion. I'm also willing to get the motor prepped for a turbo up to the point that the motor doesn't have to come out of the car. I know I will probably sound like a traitor or a non-purist, but I was highly tempted at this point to source a JDM 1JZ-GTE supra motor and do a crazy conversion and build the motor slowly over a period of time. However, I think this way because I honestly know very little about the motor under our cars (the c280) all I know is it's a I6 2.8 liter rated at 197HP and has a cast iron block with an aluminum head. I have no idea if my motor is capable of low to medium boost and on a budget over time of anywhere from 2,500-6k. I'm willing to give the motor in my car a chance for boost, but I also kinda feel from advice from friends with other modded cars that it might be better to find an I6 from a car that has a solid track record and aftermarket support.

If I do the conversion on a stock motor, I will need lots of help from the forums. My enthusiasm as a modding and motoring hobbyist is very much there but my fabrication and wrenching skills are limited. My hope is that someone on here who has a turbo'd c280 with the m104 motor can help me come up with a list of:

1.) parts I can yank from other turbo-based cars that I could use with modification on mine.

2.) parts that need fabrication That can be done by places that are fair in their fabrication costs

And

3.) stuff I can buy that won't require extremely extensive modifications to bolt on and use, and won't interfere with daily drivi g on the car. Even if I boost my benz, I'm a college student and my car even with a turbo would still be my daily driver and HAVE to be reliable.

Let me know guys. I'm not kidding when I say I am serious about this. It's not going to happen all right away, but I'm I. A position where I can slowly start acquiring parts each month throughout the next year so I can prep for it. If can, explai. Everything involved and how I can keep the conversion happening on a limited budget.

jc1kz
12-29-2012, 04:58 AM
why don't you save up and look for something like this and put in your car?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/W210-CL55-CLK55-E55-SLK55-98-02-AMG-ENGINE-MOTOR-115K-/230501364157?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35aaf3b1bd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/722-636-W210-02-CLK55-E55-AMG-CL55-TRANSMISSION-169K-/230507765401?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item35ab555e99

anf6789
12-29-2012, 08:58 AM
Check out my wtb turbo parts thread in the classifieds, a couple of us are putting together a list of needed parts. I will be turboing my C36. The m104 is a very strong motor and can definately handle boost. Just saw a 320 in Instagram with 800hp..... ;)

anf6789
12-29-2012, 09:01 AM
Also I'm a recent college grad so I'm I the same predicament as you. I want to do it right but at a low cost. I have been piecing together free or almost free parts for sometime. Making a custom manifold using the stock ones which of course ill document. Tuning via AEM FIC/6 piggyback ect. It can be done for under $2k for sure. Learn as much as you can about this stuff and it'll make it easier.

Check out that thread

alphanumeric
12-31-2012, 04:53 AM
vixin, u can do it. I would start off with doing a low boost application (1-5psi) so you can keep your stock fuel system. that way you can get all your custom fabrication and plumbing of the intercooler pipes and oil cooling lines in place and reliable.

you will need air fuel ratio, oil pressure gauges. These are the two most important things. every cheap to buy and easy to install first. $100

you can remove ash tray or center map pocket to put these their plus 1 additional gauge. maybe oil temp?

alphanumeric
12-31-2012, 04:55 AM
you might be able to do a motor swap to the 3.2 liter with 225hp. I got mine from the JY with low miles for 175bux on half off day.

Pagz
01-01-2013, 12:25 AM
"stuff I can buy that won't require extremely extensive modifications to bolt on and use, and won't interfere with daily drivi g on the car. Even if I boost my benz, I'm a college student and my car even with a turbo would still be my daily driver and HAVE to be reliable."

If you go ahead with this you will want to buy a second car for a daily driver!.

alphanumeric
01-03-2013, 12:09 AM
If you go ahead with this you will want to buy a second car for a daily driver!.

I 2nd this.

quite college and get a real job.

haha JK dude.

but seriously.. I have been reading your post on here for a week now. you might be better off just buying a newer used car thats already have a hopped up engine. the c36 and c43 can be had for 7k that I have seen. I have also seen C32 AMG with supercharged HP go for under 10k.

vixen_w202
01-03-2013, 03:20 AM
I 2nd this.

haha JK dude.

but seriously.. I have been reading your post on here for a week now. you might be better off just buying a newer used car thats already have a hopped up engine. the c36 and c43 can be had for 7k that I have seen. I have also seen C32 AMG with supercharged HP go for under 10k.

If I was rolling in oodles of money, I'd buy forum member Christopher's Silver C36. It's mint even with the transmission issue.

But nah, I like my little 280.....it's grown on me. It deserves a chance at becoming something great :)

Pagz
01-03-2013, 10:54 AM
I 2nd this.

haha JK dude.

Alpha's right, an AMG is going to be cheaper any day...plus you will get the benifit of actually driving it. lol.
You need to lose what ever attachment you have to your 280 and move on,or be happy with the stock perfromace =)...

If you do in future want to go the turbo route, you need to do ALOT of fabrication yourself,or pay someone to do it all for you which is not going to happen. Speak with Ross and Naushad Im sure they'll have a story or two.

Dont get me wrong though,I love turbo stuff, But I dont believe there is a slow and cheap way to do it... there is only Slow and expensive, or quick with no organs left.

anf6789
01-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Pagz is right in pretty much all respects. I do believe you can do it for a low price though. It may not be pretty, but if you know the right people you could. I know his car was not only quick but something to look at too lol! C36s are quick... But if it was quick enough I wouldn't be acquiring turbo parts.... I have an old Garrett TO4E and an 2nd hand TIAL WG I got for free. I plan on running low boost (<8psi .5bar) until the head gasket decides its had enough of life. Then either a M120 cometic or copper HG (thicker to reduce cr)and some arp studs. Then I'll boost the shit out of it. I've heard good things about te AEM piggyback so that's what I'll use. Along with bigger injectors and a Bosch 044 pump. Possibly meth injection as a safety net to raise the octane too 116 to ward of detonation. With friends that can weld I only pay for materials and get lucky with free stuff off their old turbo cars. Yes all this is dumb and I should stop now and sell the turbo...... And sell the C36 for 2X what I paid... But that would be smart and easy= not fun

Pagz
01-03-2013, 02:20 PM
Fun is when the 3.2 blows up and you have saved the C36 engine by leaving it stored in the back of your garage. At least this way you will avoid finding the real meaning of "not fun"

xD

alphanumeric
01-03-2013, 07:42 PM
also, you can smash around all day long in an OEM performance car like nobodys business with out blowing it up.

How much Horse Power are you looking for?

anf6789
01-04-2013, 04:42 PM
Oh I agree, it's much easier to keep it relatively stock. I really don't beat on this car as much as my old c280 as I don't really trust it yet. It's more of a goal for me to turbo the car as I've always wanted a turbo M104 since I got the c280 6 years ago.

I was conservatively aiming for 300-350 rwhp... I believe a stock C36 makes around 220-250 rwhp. So nothing crazy. With 10.5.1 CR and high Octane fuel low boost levels should give me close to my goals with the set up I have. I have done compressor maps ect, lots of research on the subject, and have a friend with 500hp GTP and 600hp trans am turbo builds under his belt (all garage built :)) he's currently compound boosting his E55k... He's sick in the head!! And all the guys on here with turbo experience Will be lots of help. Slammed C Pagz Remo, even c280nz if he's still around remember readin those threads back in the day!

I just need a project honestly.

Oh and vixen. There's nothig quite like the sound of a turbo I6!!!!

W202FTW
01-06-2013, 07:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pSs_p7QAvns

Hope this builds some hope!

I'm leaning on a 3.2 swap or a turbo build in the future. I wanted a W210 E55 but I love my 280 too much :D

SLAMMED_C
01-06-2013, 08:42 AM
Fun is when the 3.2 blows up and you have saved the C36 engine by leaving it stored in the back of your garage. At least this way you will avoid finding the real meaning of "not fun"

xD
I agree with Pagz, you are better off swapping out with a 3.2 and keep the 36 motor safe. And anyone with 280's do the same, swap out for a 3.2 and boost it. There's no replacement for displacement. So the larger engine with boost = win!