PDA

View Full Version : m111 & m104 engine overhaul and preventative maintenance

alphanumeric
12-29-2012, 09:16 PM
I want to make this short and to the point.

I am looking at replacing anything engine related to keep my motor running strong. anything mechanically related and I will also include electrical sensors too. excluding gaskets.

Things that have been known to fail. I need input on this stuff.

Timing chain tensioner. This is a tricky thing to understand and is not common like most cars. This one runs off oil pressure and is internal and spring loaded. I Have had no experiance with removing, replacing, rebuilding or adjusting this part to see how it works. These run around 50$ on rock auto. Not sure if they wear out and actually need to be replaced or just rebuild the current one.

Timing chain I have read many times chains being replaced but I don't think that's necessarily at the moment. Maybe the chain stretches over time but I have no proof. so I will leave it at not needing to be replaced.

alphanumeric
01-12-2013, 09:08 PM
no input on timing chain tensioner?

W202FTW
01-13-2013, 10:34 AM
no input on timing chain tensioner?

The chains and the tensioners VERY RARELY fail on these motor. I haven't replaced mines yet as of 198k. The only serious things to look out for are head gasket leaks, upper timing cover leaks ( due to the U-shaped gasket pulling away from the cylinder head ) and the wiring harness deteriorating.

alphanumeric
01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
interesting. I totally agree about the timing chain.

I hear my chain rattle (hitting the top of the valve cover, in the middle of the two cams) when I rev the engine from inside of the engine bay, as the RPM's are on the decline its very chattery.

This engine has so many inherent noises that all sound the same

timing chain tensioner
belt tensioner shock
supercharger bearings (front bearing only iv read)