PDA

View Full Version : Can a brand new OEM c36 AMG front bumper fit a stock 96 c280 without huge issues?

vixen_w202
01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
My body shop when I dropped my car off has access to brand new OEM mercedes body parts. I made a comment that I really liked the c36 bumper over the crappy stock 280 pre facelift one. The bodyshop owner said if I wanted the C36 bumper bad enough he could easily get it and probably get it to bill to insurance as a stock replacement part on his parts cost invoice. He has worked on my particular car before, and while he feels it wouldn't be a big deal to graft on he has no way to know if it will or will not until he gets it.

So my question to help him is

1.) will it be a huge headache to put on a new OEM 96 C36 front bumper onto a stock 280? Foglights are a non-issue as they will not be installed at this time.

2.) Ars there any differences between a c280 and a c36? My feeling is no because it is the same bodystyle, but I could be wrong.

Let me know. I have to relay this information ASAP so he can be ready to order parts.

wichipong
01-16-2013, 07:55 PM
it should fit...

c36:

http://pictures.topspeed.com/IMG/crop/201103/1995-mercedes-c36-am_600x0w.jpg

c280:

http://www.carfinderservice.com/images/used/1078.jpg

***NOTE***
Pictures aren't mine... just to show you the difference...

mbsickness
01-16-2013, 08:34 PM
Aside from the higher parts cost it will fit without issues. You will need the tow hook covers which are $280 a pop and the support rail that goes behind the actual cover. Your C280 substructure will not work. Also if any of the brackets that bolt to the radiator support are bent due to the crash those will need replacement as well as those need to be transferred over to the AMG rail. The original side guides should work. Since you have other damage make sure this additional C36 bumper cost will not total out the car....unless of course that is what you want.

mbsickness
01-17-2013, 07:44 PM
Vixen, here is your confirmed answer as I just installed a C36 bumper on my 94 C280. The brake ducts do not fit and you will have to modify them or remove them although, if you don't have the driving lights installed they could still work. The side supports and bright trim are the same as are the foam blocks behind the bumper structure. Just make sure you get the support bar not just the cover. Good luck.

hvmercy
01-19-2013, 02:28 AM
I trimmed the ducts. It took a couple of tries but was able to fit the front bumper nicely.
Note: this is on my 1997 C230.

The brake ducts do not fit and you will have to modify them or remove them although, if you don't have the driving lights installed they could still work. The side supports and bright trim are the same as are the foam blocks behind the bumper structure. Just make sure you get the support bar not just the cover. Good luck.