PDA

View Full Version : P0422- Most likely need new Catalytic convertors. Which magnaflow to get?

Goldeni245
02-06-2013, 12:01 AM
Hello! I got a P0422 code, thought it was a vacuum leak since there was a small hose loose in the engine. Had the code reset and now it came back after 3 weeks...

Now I'm pretty sure it's because of the catalytic convertors. Now that I don't live in California anymore, I'd like to just get a cheaper Magnaflow Universal Cat that will fit my car. I was a bit confused though about the magnaflows...do I have to buy 2 or just 1? It seems like the magnaflows are single cats and on some sites that sell Magnaflow, it says that my C230K needs to purchase (2) of them. Will they fit under the car?

Does anyone have any experience with getting aftermarket universal cats? Are there any other brands besides Magnaflow? Will Magnaflows cats cause the exhaust to give off a strange sound and will they cause a permanent check engine light? Thanks in advance for reading!

thegame
02-06-2013, 07:02 PM
Our cars have two cats and if one is out usually the seconds is on its way. But you can just buy one and hope that the second is fine. I don't know about check engine light but it shouldn't but might have to look in to that though, the exhaust noise will change and it might be barely louder you might not even tell the difference that's it. Also check if the oxygen sensors are fine

W202FTW
02-08-2013, 07:27 PM
Hello! I got a P0422 code, thought it was a vacuum leak since there was a small hose loose in the engine. Had the code reset and now it came back after 3 weeks...

Now I'm pretty sure it's because of the catalytic convertors. Now that I don't live in California anymore, I'd like to just get a cheaper Magnaflow Universal Cat that will fit my car. I was a bit confused though about the magnaflows...do I have to buy 2 or just 1? It seems like the magnaflows are single cats and on some sites that sell Magnaflow, it says that my C230K needs to purchase (2) of them. Will they fit under the car?

Does anyone have any experience with getting aftermarket universal cats? Are there any other brands besides Magnaflow? Will Magnaflows cats cause the exhaust to give off a strange sound and will they cause a permanent check engine light? Thanks in advance for reading!

One cat is fine, and go with the magnaflow ones. As long as you have a factory resonator and a muffler I very doubt that it'll change the exhaust noise.