PDA

View Full Version : Problems installing Morimoto H4 HID bulbs into stock headlights using old ballasts:

vixen_w202
02-14-2013, 09:59 PM
Hey again,

Now that the suspension is finished, I had one last thing I ordered to finish my upgrading for awhile. Back when my mom backed into my car she destroyed my driver's side projector headlight. In that housing the projector required a H7 bulb and both the foglight and highbeam used H1 35W HID's I installed myself. However when I went back to re-installing my stock headlights that originally came on the car, they use an H4 Hi/Lo bulb and an H3 for the headlight fogs.

Well, I figured I could save some money and reuse my ballasts, so per a forum member's referral I bought a set of 6k H4's for the lowbeams from theretrofitsource.com as well as a set of H3 3k's for the fogs so I could have yellow fogs. The H3's snapped right back into the DDM Tuning ballasts and fired right up. However, the H4's I have did not. The company I bought them from is selling them under this Morimoto line I'd never heard of before.

The bulbs I got have the first two connectors which snap right back into the 2nd set of ballasts. However, on the harness for the H4's there is some sort of mystery 3rd connector which has a rectangular plastic housing with two metal male prongs and the right side of the plastic housing is shaped like the right side of a hexagon. What this plugs into is beyond me, and my ballast does not any type of connector to accommodate this plug. I do know that I plugged absolutely everything else into the right place but left that one disconnected, and they just would not fire.

Here are pics of the bulb and connector:

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/slyvia_altima/IMG_20130214_215411_zpse4099d5d.jpg

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/slyvia_altima/IMG_20130214_215429_zpse81ce3ad.jpg

Can anyone help me what I need to get these working??? Right now as I stand I have just standard halogens in my driving lights and the HID's in my headlight fogs. To me it looks kinda silly to have one side with and the other without. Also these were not cheap and I don't want them to go to waste (the H4's cost me more than my whole kit for my lowbeams did, so did the H3's).

Also, to be helpful....here is the ballast I was running for my foglights in the projector housings:

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/slyvia_altima/IMG_20130214_225608_zps6f63e8dc.jpg

Hope that helps.

anf6789
02-14-2013, 10:17 PM
that 3rd connector is to actuate the Hi/Lo function of the H4 bulb. a normal halogen H4 has dual filaments one for low beam, the other for high. Since and hid cannot do this, the whole bulb moves in an out (which is why the base of the HID h4 is so big, has a solenoid) I had a similar setup on my old C280. Normally when you buy and H4 hi/lo kit, it comes with a special harness that takes the factory signal and sends it to the bulb to move them in and out.

Now i just read that the bulbs will not fire? this 3rd connector shouldn't have anything to do with powering the HID itself, just the movement of the bulb for the HI/LO function. Generally with the Power HIDs draw you want a relayed harness.... Call the retrofitsource tomorrow. they are very helpful! some of the best customer service I have ever dealt with. They will help you troubleshoot and explain what you need and how to fix it! Tell him the guy with the C36 recommended their company to you, (the one with all the problems with his fogs, they should remember me lol, Andrew is his name.)

Aaron

Christopher
02-14-2013, 11:44 PM
Pretty sure you have a bad ballaster try the other one on the bulb that works if it fires up my theory is correct

wichipong
02-15-2013, 09:38 PM
i think i have a DIY on H4 stock housings here... search for it if not ill email them to you

vixen_w202
02-20-2013, 08:33 PM
i think i have a DIY on H4 stock housings here... search for it if not ill email them to you

PM me with the link plz I need any type of directions rather badly.