PDA

View Full Version : How do I fix up this paint?

melk
02-16-2013, 06:34 AM
Hi folks. Just got this '00 C230K. The rest of the body is in pretty good shape but the roof obviously needs help. Looks like someone has buffed off quite a bit I guess in a failed attempt to correct it. Clear coat is gone. Obvious difference in how it feels when you run your hand over it.

My question, is there any chance of getting it back to at least a gloss black color rather than the discolored / faded white-gray it is now?

I'm not looking for perfection here, just good enough to blend in and not stand out.

The cheap $20-40 wax/polish kits I'm looking at all seem to be "finishing products" for paint that is already in good shape. I'm not having much luck finding repair/restoration type products.

Any advice?

anf6789
02-16-2013, 08:10 AM
Clay bar, compound, polish, wax. In that order. The white looks like oxidization should come of when you "cut" the paint. I suggest using an electric buffer with the correct pads for each step.

melk
02-16-2013, 11:56 AM
Any particular brand names for the compound and wax/polish?

I have zero experience with this kind of body work.

Wife bought "Turtle Wax Black Box" kit (it's her car afterall) but I'm not sure that is the best fit?

anf6789
02-16-2013, 12:18 PM
3M products or meguires professional are available at pepboys as well as other auto parts stores... (Thats if you want to try cutting the paint and actually getting rid of the problem) Couldn't hurt to try the turtle wax up but that's just a temp fix if a fix at all. You could even try a rubbing compound by hand , then a polish by hand, then a wax. Clay bar first of course.

98Benzo
02-17-2013, 07:27 AM
i have been a detailer for 9 years. If you use compound on the roof where there is no clear coat you will further damage the paint. With no clear coat you have 3 options, either give it a polish with a high speed polisher (wont give you great results because the clearcoat is what makes it shine) or have it repainted or vinyled. Re-painting or Vinyling your roof would give you the best results.

melk
02-22-2013, 08:27 AM
Not half bad I think!971972

MikeD
02-22-2013, 04:29 PM
Definitely a lot better!

jc1kz
02-22-2013, 06:24 PM
and you did what again ??? because looking at the top roof pics...it looks great now, kinda like a repaint....so turtle wax black box???

melk
02-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Yeah I couldn't believe it myself... I was very skeptical that it would work at all.

It's not perfect, but I have plenty left over to do a second coat.

Yes "Turtle Wax Black Box" was $20 at AutoZone. Versus $585 quote to reprint the roof... Hah!