PDA

View Full Version : vibrations

KenzBenz
10-29-2003, 09:12 PM
i just put on 18 x 8.5 rims. a small i think 3mm spacer for the fronts, and and slighty fatter ones on the rear because thelugnuts were too long. when i go past 40mph the steering wheel starts to shake but when im going around 30 the ride is very smooth. whats the problem here? the spacers? because the rims are were balanced twice so that sholdnt be the problem.

714guy
10-29-2003, 09:25 PM
check the balance of the wheels, do hear anything at slow speeds like a ticking sound, if so it could be that the lugs are to long and just be doing something.

Next i would check the shocks, that was my problem when i went at slow speeds it was fine then high speed it the wteering wheel shakes. look for leakage on the shocks, if you cant tell wipe them clean then check back later on.

Another thing to check is the centering rings are there any?? make sure the spacers are hubcenteric if not then that could be your problem.

hope that helps

good luck

Jason

KenzBenz
10-29-2003, 09:30 PM
the ticking sound was fixed in the rear by adding a spacer. i think there might be a leak in the shocks up front. and can you tell me exactly what hubcentric spacers are.?? the ones i have are just like thin discs. thanks

714guy
10-29-2003, 09:41 PM
hubcentric spacer fit snuglly to the center hub and it should replicate that hub also so that when the wheels are on,with out lugs you can move the wheel up or down, if you can then the wheels aren't centered.

If your shock is leaking then that could be the problem, that was my case for vibration.

KenzBenz
10-29-2003, 09:43 PM
the car was fine before the rims were taking off. nothing was done to the car. why would it all of a sudden start leaking when im about to get my rims put on?

alhacker
10-29-2003, 10:38 PM
try removing the spacers and putting shorter lugnuts if the vibrations are still there then its ur shock absorber else its ur spacers. most spacers do this problem my friend had spacers on a f355 fiero replica which had the same problem he went to a machine shop to do them 'hubcentric' and it sloved the problem.....

jnolte
10-29-2003, 10:52 PM
KEN

hrsprings.com has hubcentric spacers.....

J Irwan
10-29-2003, 10:59 PM
Originally posted by jnolte
KEN

hrsprings.com has hubcentric spacers.....

H&R only make hubcentric spacer starting at 10mm thickness.

The 5mm usually not hubcentric, however if you use 5mm or 3mm spacer on the front it doesn't need to be hubcentric, since the spindel's outer bearing cover still has a lot protrusion enough to bite the wheel center ring..

Just make sure this 3mm/5mm spacer for the front, have the center hole cut-out perfect fit with the hub center ring diameter

If you want to use on the rear, try to get a hub-centric spacer, since the center ring only protruded about 6mm or so..

Regardz,

CKlasse
10-29-2003, 11:07 PM
Make sure you got the right lugbolts too. Perhaps one of the in house suspension gurus can tell you how many kind of tapered bolts out there. It's very important that the tapered side fit perfectly against the wheel.

KenzBenz
10-30-2003, 09:28 AM
the spacers im using look like these
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2440135061&category=42614

KenzBenz
10-30-2003, 09:37 AM
anyone around oakland that can come help me check it out? because im lost dunno whats going on...

CKlasse
10-30-2003, 09:37 AM
Those are not hubcentric. That's your cause of vibration! I think I still have few hubcentric spacers laying around somewhere. What sizes do you need?

KenzBenz
10-30-2003, 09:45 AM
well i guess i need 2 3mm in front and 2 6mm in rears..if you have them..how much should i pay you? thanks