PDA

View Full Version : possible to convert C280 2.87 open diff to limited slip?

vixen_w202
02-20-2013, 09:25 PM
This is still a ways out, and for now it's just curiosity...but I'm just curious as to if I wanted to either convert my open diff to a limited slip and maybe go to a more aggressive gear ratio, what would be involved....what parts would I need to get and how difficult would it be to do. Or is there such thing as a limited slip that came on our cars?

I'm thinking about doing this once I patch up some drive train issues because there's literally a professional race track less than 15 minutes from my house. If I do get this thing finally ready for a track day here and there I'd like to have what power I have available going to the pavement better.

Scary-Larry
02-20-2013, 09:51 PM
I think that it's very possible, but I could very well be wrong. Let me tell you why I think it's possible.

In my 98 C280 elegance, I used to go out into the snow (in New England) and drive all day in it until the snow plow cleared the streets. This of course was after turning the ASR off, and the car is not famous for driving in the snow, but I cannot easily drive in the snow with anything else after getting used to it in that car. Drifting and the sound of horse power going up and down your quiet neighborhood in the snow is one of the reasons I think, but do not know for sure, that the C280 came with a somewhat aggressive diff. I must admit, the car did not slip much when the pavement was clear, even with the ASR off.

Now, in my 2000 C280 Sport that I just bought a few days ago. I'm trying to go easy with it until I get it inspected, but just taking off in it normally spins the tires. Going around some sharp corners in my town at rates of speed the 98 C280 didn't slip on is not the same in the sport. The sport just spins the tires like it was built to drift. This is just from my brief few days of experience with it. The car may have been chip tuned or had a swapped diff.

If it comes down to it, adding a diff from a C36 AMG may just do the job. I think it has an aggressive setup all around, and most likely a max slip diff in the back. Years after that legend car, someone made the world drift record in a 'all stock' C63 AMG- drifted till the sport tires shredded.

vixen_w202
02-20-2013, 09:56 PM
Yeah, but finding C36 AMG parts are getting harder and harder to find.....and there's probably going to be some absolutely outrageous price point on one if I do track one down. I have a C36 AMG black driver's seat in my car from a 95....and it took me awhile to find. On top of that, it wasn't cheap either....well over 300 shipped from Florida.

To me it's probably going to be a lot easier to just either convert mine or find some aftermarket company that caters to what I want to do.

Scary-Larry
02-21-2013, 06:44 AM
I agree, I didn't keep the price and intense search in mind. I'm pretty sure that finding an aftermarket diff shouldn't be that hard (or expensive), but just have to make sure it's a reputable brand or really good quality. I'll look around when I get out of class tonight.

anf6789
02-23-2013, 07:53 PM
there are many threads on this topic. C36 never came with a LSD, normal open diff. a 190e 16v cosworth did. as well as some other older cars. ASD was a lsd with hydraulic locking as well. doing some research on this now, though none are a direct plug and play drop in.