PDA

View Full Version : w202 sliding sunroof shade/card: perfect project piece

kameraguy
02-28-2013, 12:38 PM
Hi Everyone,

It's been a long time. Glad to see the forum is still alive! Much props to everyone actively keeping things running! Sorry i haven't been around, hopefully I can stop in more often moving forward as I want to see what everyone has been up to.

I still have my '97 w202, thankfully she's still running great after 184k miles. But with this age comes necessary repairs. For example, my sliding sunroof cover finally called it quits. The inner foam material deteriorated with age to the point it started to sag. If you have been thru this too, you will then know what a royal pain it is to either find another used example to replace it, or get it redone. In my case, i decided to bite the bullet and buy a new one at a whopping $500 (no joke). Anyway, now that it has been taken care of, i have my original in the garage hanging around. It ain't pretty, but for someone doing a custom interior, this is perfect for a custom roof project.

If anyone needs a used sliding roof cover for a project, let me know. If you are local (SF Bay Area, south bay), you can have it if you pick it up. if you are out of state, just pay for shipping and it's yours (never shipped something like this, so will have to figure that out...). These things are usually hard to come by used, and cost a grip new, so hopefully this will be a great help for someone. I'd rather have a fellow club w202 member have this than toss it.

Anyway, Happy New Year guys, take care :)

JRE320
02-28-2013, 01:36 PM
Hello Chris!!! Long time... I got the same problem like you on my C280. I just glue it back and get rid of it. :-)

anf6789
02-28-2013, 02:46 PM
i just took mine out... :)

BTW hows the C36 running at 184k? mine has 165k on it now. needs a HG soon.

kameraguy
02-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Hi Jun! How have you been? We should coordinate a gtg to catch up :) I guess this happens to all w202s at some point!

anf6789, she's running well. Admittedly the damn m104 HG is a problem I couldn't avoid too. I replaced mine at 96k, and currently the replacement HG also developed a slow leak. Nothing major, but a constant reminder at how fun these HGs are. Aside from that, no major problems knock on wood. Just general maintenance, like the this sunroof panel, and the third brake light which developed a sort of intermittent connection. I just replaced the entire thing for cheap from ebay and no more issues.

Hopefully you haven't had anything major aside from the pesky HG. We need to keep these C36's on the road, they are getting pretty rare :)

Sulaco
02-28-2013, 06:21 PM
Ho. Lee. Shit. Kameraguy lives! Still waiting for that follow up to the speedybenz article! Awesome to hear you're still rocking the c36

RemoLexi
02-28-2013, 06:47 PM
You guys let me know if anyone is looking for a deal for HG replacement! I have done 6 of them last year. About $1200 parts / labor including timing chain&tensioner

I'm in sacramento

kameraguy
02-28-2013, 07:30 PM
@Sulaco LOL. Yes, barely. Work is crazy, but I am trying to catch up on many things neglected this year. Actually, I am interested to to shoot some cars, so if anyone is in the SF Bay Area, let me know. I wish I knew where SpeedyBenz is, and if he still has his C43...would love to revisit his car.

@RemoLexi, thanks, perhaps I may contact you if things get to that point, appreciate the offer :)

wichipong
02-28-2013, 11:43 PM
@kameraguy im form the bay too... but my car is not that camera worthy... lol... but im down for a gtg sometime soon..

JRE320
03-01-2013, 10:05 AM
A gtg would be nice. :-) Like the old time.

kameraguy
03-01-2013, 11:13 AM
Jun/wichipong, sounds good..I might have some time in May...will post up on the forum and let you guys know.

Maybe I can find nokia too...blast from the past...first GTG nokia/jre/kam :p

RemoLexi
03-01-2013, 12:27 PM
If this gets more official I may have a handful of 202 owners from sac drive to meet up with you guys.

anf6789
03-01-2013, 12:33 PM
kameraguy... definitely jinxed the C36 yesterday by asking how yours was! fuel pump just died lol. Time for a bosch 044!

better see some sick pics, id drive over from NJ but....

kameraguy
03-01-2013, 03:33 PM
@anf6789 damn man sorry to hear that :( Hopefully not too much $$$ to fix. Will definitely post some stuff up to share.

@RemoLexi ok cool. if I can figure out a date, perhaps we can meet somewhere in the middle to make it easier for everyone.

RemoLexi
03-02-2013, 07:09 PM
I don't mind the drive but if it's anything like the famous SF hills and all that traffic shit no way! I don't feel like raping my precious clutch on the 36 nor do I care to risk getting hit in the city with new paint. Lol

Maybe some good food joint?

kameraguy
03-11-2013, 05:16 PM
Thinking somewhere near Walnut Creek. Food place sounds good, will figure something out and let you guys know.