PDA

View Full Version : C36 Walbro 255lph Fuel Pump Upgrade/Replacement

anf6789
03-03-2013, 09:43 PM
So the OEM pump went on the C36 this weekend... Perfect time to upgrade the fuel pump to be ready for when I get around to Turbo'n..

I was torn between the Bosch Motorsports 044 and the Walbro 255lph inline pumps. The Bosch flow a bit better but at almost twice the price ($170-250 depending where you buy)... So I went with the $100 tried and true Walbro Pump (good for 500-600HP). Cheaper than the stock pump too, and should fit perfectly in the stock hanger (the 044 is bigger.) I will post pics and more info on the install when I get my stuff from Summit Racing this week. I love the smell of gasoline in the morning.

Scary-Larry
03-03-2013, 10:09 PM
I changed the fuel pump on my 98 C280 since I thought it was broken, when it really was the MAF sensor that was actually broken, and I exchanged the Bosch pump for an Airtex pump. I wish I didn't spend the money since it wasn't necessary, but it worked out well.

I'm sorry to hear the fuel pump went and I hope you get a good deal/performance on whatever you purchase to replace it.

Dearlove
03-04-2013, 12:29 AM
walbro won't hold up under boost if you decide to go that direction

anf6789
03-04-2013, 10:58 AM
dearlove why do you say that? all my turbo buddies use or have used them with no problems on some 500whp cars.

Dearlove
03-04-2013, 10:17 PM
when i use to run a nissan GTR alot of people i had spoken too about the 044/walbro debate say that when they ran high boost the walbro just couldn't keen up, swapped in a 044 and fix the problem straight away

anf6789
03-05-2013, 08:15 AM
Yeah, interesting. Good thing I won't be running high boost! And if I do a lot more will have to be upgraded for sure

anf6789
03-05-2013, 11:20 AM
Also. It was a cheaper replacement than OEM so good deal just with that fact. I wanted the 044 but couldn't justify double the price when I really don't need that much flow at the moment if ever...

SnowwhiteMerc
03-05-2013, 01:04 PM
if i weren't going turbo is it still considered an upgrade to the cars performance, like will i benefit from buying a Walbro or Bosch fuel pump, I have a 98 c230 and my pump went as well, are you changing it yourself? do you know any DIY of this job? sorry to bombard your thread man, im just debating if i should do it myself or tell the my local Mercedes mechanic to do it, (not the stealership) although his labor is not..what we would call cheap neither, but i guess fair, anything would help thanks

anf6789
03-05-2013, 01:10 PM
it will not do anything performance wise unless you need the extra fuel (ie turbo high performance NA cars, Its not going to do anything until I go forced induction as the car isnt struggling for fuel now). It is basically a drop in fit, pretty standard inline pump size, just like the oem one. Fittings are different but thats easily figured out. The parts are coming in tomorrow so Ill let you know how it goes. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so in the driveway, I already took out the old one so that will speed it up.

SnowwhiteMerc
03-05-2013, 01:37 PM
it will not do anything performance wise unless you need the extra fuel (ie turbo high performance NA cars, Its not going to do anything until I go forced induction as the car isnt struggling for fuel now). It is basically a drop in fit, pretty standard inline pump size, just like the oem one. Fittings are different but thats easily figured out. The parts are coming in tomorrow so Ill let you know how it goes. It shouldn't take more than an hour or so in the driveway, I already took out the old one so that will speed it up.

ok awesome thanks man, this PA weather is harsh to work in, lol but are you following a manual on how to change or you just know cause you done it to other cars? is the fuel pump with in the tank? i seen a this youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmaJyJ5m7Dgon this benz is it very similar as far as getting into it?

anf6789
03-05-2013, 01:44 PM
Fuel pump is outside, right next to right rear wheel. I like to tinker so I figure stuff out for myself!

SnowwhiteMerc
03-05-2013, 01:44 PM
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w202-c-class/1361400-diy-2000-c230-kompressor-fuel-filter.html

or this one, im sure the fuel pump would be aside this one?

anf6789
03-05-2013, 05:29 PM
Yep right next to te filter