PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way to convert the emergency footbrake to a handbrake on the center console?

vixen_w202
03-07-2013, 06:04 PM
Well, this might seem kinda pointless on an automatic....but eventually I do want to convert over to a manual....and I'd like to make it easier to initiate some drifts or donuts using a handbrake.

First off, what would I have to do to reroute the cabling to the foot e-brake over to something like the center console??? And on top of that, how could I make something so it would stay secure and stay in place? What kind of handbrake assembly could I use to make it functional, and not look tacky???

I understand some fabrication and engineering might be required, but this is probably the one big complaint I have about my vehicle. I'd like this feature in it.

Thanks.

MikeD
03-08-2013, 09:36 AM
As far as I've seen, there's only one person on the internet that has done this on a w202. Check out page 71 for a photo.

http://www.alive.se/projekt/mercedes-c36-amg-drift-loco-2-bandit-3086

It's all in Swedish, he doesn't detail how he did it, but looking at the thread you'll see just how much he had to strip his car to perform such a mod. With all of the electronic and climate control components in the car, there's just no room to hide something like this under the dash. That being said, I think he also has a ratchet style shifter like you wanted to get.

vixen_w202
03-17-2013, 08:01 PM
UPDATE: There might be a simpler way to do this, but no matter what....fabrication and welding will still be required.

What about something called a hydraulic e-brake kit? I didn't even know these existed until I found a link for one and researched what they were:

http://www.frsport.com/Circuit-Sports-HEB-001B-FP-Hydraulic-E-Brake-Kit_p_37613.html?gclid=CO3rvoKwhbYCFch7Qgod7H0A8w

http://i1.frsimg.com/images/detailed_images/Circuit%20Sports_HEB-001B-FP_01.jpg

Less than 200 bucks and who knows what kind of fabrication would be required...or what needs to come out to accommodate it, but if I wanted to do it I have friends who are master welders/fabricators.

Opinions?

RemoLexi
03-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Umm ... Learn to drift first? You will learn at some point that you won't need an e brake at all ...

Does that qualify as an opinion?

vixen_w202
03-17-2013, 09:01 PM
Sure. No offense taken.

RemoLexi
03-17-2013, 09:12 PM
Weld your diff instead

vixen_w202
03-17-2013, 09:26 PM
I would if weren't so ridiculously impractical on a daily driver.

RemoLexi
03-18-2013, 08:21 AM
Converting to a handbrake isn't really practical either. Just think about it, your gonna hack up your center console for an e brake handle?

Spend some money on a cheap LSD out of a miata or Nissan and have your fabricator/welding friends fit it in, let off the throttle as you come up to a turn, drop your 4-speed into 2nd and pump the throttle til your foot kicks the radiator and let the LSD lock both wheels sending you sliding... Open diff will always get you partial traction on at least one tire.

When I was your age, drifting was cool and a bunch of us got together in industrial areas in the middle of the night and did dumb shit until cops came. More then half of my friends had wrecked 1/4 panals and suspended drivers lisences with warrents ect for wreckless driving, exhibition ect. Zip ties and stickers were the main bonding adhesives for every piece that broke off. Sure all this sounds good and fun, and you will probably disreguard my advice, but don't do this to a 202 unless you have A LOT of disposable income.

Romant
03-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Agree