PDA

View Full Version : 98 c230 Dim battery light

battosaii
03-14-2013, 12:08 PM
my 98 c230 (US version) had a dim battery light before and was not charging so i ordered a voltage regulator and it fixed the problem but now about 2 months later the dim battery light came back on.

so here is whats happening the light turns off sometimes while i drive but it always comes back on again and its so dim you ban barely see it in daytime so far i have checked the cabled to the alternator and they are nice and tight and everytime i check the voltage with my Multimeter the voltage is around 13.7v and its super stable it dosnt move much even with my subwoofer going.

im not sure what it could be because the car is charging and 13.7v is quite normal for most cars but a battery light does scare me a bit i dont want to be left stranded.

i was thinking of just buying a new bosche 115 amp alternator but i dont know if it will fix the problem

costinbv
03-14-2013, 12:14 PM
maybe it's your cluster thats making a poor connection somewhere

battosaii
03-14-2013, 12:52 PM
well i pulled the cluster out and i used my multimeter to measure the contacts for the battery light, well with the key in the ON position the contacts get 12v wich is normal becuase all lights turn on for a few seconds when you put the key in the on position, then i started the car and the voltage on the contacts was 2.1v making the battery light come on dimly i dont know what would make it do this.

RemoLexi
03-14-2013, 01:24 PM
Are you testing the alternator while under load (subwoofer ect) ?

It sounds like your alt. is failing, they are very easy to remove on the non supercharged model (like yours) so maybe take it to your local autozone or whoever and have them test it.

battosaii
03-14-2013, 01:35 PM
yes i was testing under load, all lights on, system going and a/c on and it was at a stable 13.7v

yea i know its easy to remove the alternator i did it when i replaced the voltage regulator i may go get it tested i dont have an extra car but i can drive to an autoparts store and remove it there it only takes 5 minutes at most

navaidrule
03-15-2013, 05:23 AM
I would check for brush wear.

Joe