PDA

View Full Version : E brake pedal no resistance

SnowwhiteMerc
03-15-2013, 12:05 PM
SUP guys, seeing if anybody got some input on this, during this cold season, at times my E BRAKE pedal did not want to go up which would cause the BRAKE light to disappear, it seemed to get "stuck" during the frigid temperatures, so after many times of assisting the pedal up by hand, ( while pulling the lever, my E BRAKE pedal has lost resistance which means as of now my e brakes are not functioning properly, like if i where on a hill and applied them and put the car on neutral my car would roll downwards, does anybody know how to tighten that cable that attached to the E BRAKE pedal?

RemoLexi
03-15-2013, 07:54 PM
You are not supposed to use your e brake below freezing temps. It may have frozen and you drove off roasting the brake shoes. Check your brake shoes.

vaspen
03-15-2013, 08:06 PM
ok as for the pedal not wanting to come up have you checked to see if the springs on the e-brake system are still there ?
or are not streched out ?
second as for them not working the e-brake sys workes on a slighty diff setup on the brake pedal by holding down a line to keep the pressure there
it may need adjusted but i would throw new shoes and rotors on and check that spring that holds the peddal up :D i hope i can help somewhat

SnowwhiteMerc
03-16-2013, 11:20 AM
You are not supposed to use your e brake below freezing temps. It may have frozen and you drove off roasting the brake shoes. Check your brake shoes.
thanks for the info man i never knew you should not use e brake, during the cold

SnowwhiteMerc
03-16-2013, 11:24 AM
ok as for the pedal not wanting to come up have you checked to see if the springs on the e-brake system are still there ?
or are not streched out ?
second as for them not working the e-brake sys workes on a slighty diff setup on the brake pedal by holding down a line to keep the pressure there
it may need adjusted but i would throw new shoes and rotors on and check that spring that holds the peddal up :D i hope i can help somewhat

definitely im thinking its the cable that has to be adjusted, only reason i say that is because i never drove, with the ebrakes engaged, i always assured the brake light would turn off, cause that beeping noise wouldve drove me nuts lol, but im tryng to see on how to adjust that, i will eventually change out the shoes for the ebrake, and the rotors and pads all around are not even 2 months old

vaspen
03-17-2013, 11:32 AM
also when you have a manual car and its winter ... i do beleave you can use teh ebrake in cold but another form of break is to place the car ingear before you turn it off (manual only) now your using the engin so the car wont move

RemoLexi
03-17-2013, 04:37 PM
On topic: the shoes could have frozen no point in guessing until you pop a rotor off and take a look.

Vaspen, I never leave my car in gear overnight, always neutral. In the morning I start up to warm up for several minutes before depressing the clutch to prevent pressing the clutch down and putting force on my thrust bearing before the oil pressure gets there. I have no neutral safety switch (that's for girls)

vaspen
03-21-2013, 08:14 PM
when you park on a hill and the e break goes you will learn lol, my dad had it happen when he was young in his 72 firebird t/a he was on a hill no damage cus he caught it lol but that would make me need a new pair lol only on hills leave it in a gear when its flat dont simple and
before you start it up you take it back out of gear

but if its a automatic then no you CANT leave it in gear unless you dont mind leaving the keys in the ignition lolz XD

vaspen
03-21-2013, 08:15 PM
(clutch sensor) lol no thats ok a choke is for girls and wussies who cant feather the throttle XD