PDA

View Full Version : Figured I'd ask opinions here, seeing you're all more qualified...

subliminal-
03-28-2013, 08:49 AM
I have a few options running through my head as to where to go with the suspension / wheels of my complete stock '00 C230.

Option 1: I have a BNIB set of Koni sport springs, and could pick up a set of Billy Sports for cheap through work.
Basically use the spring pads to fine tune from there. I'm looking for functional and low, yet not dumped.
Going to go with 18x8, 18x9 wheels.

Option 2: Keep it at stock ride height and splurge a bit more into wheels.
Could sell off the springs at this point also to fund wheels.
My main concern here is the car looking ridiculous on 18" wheels and 4x4 status.
And I don't see spring pads lowering it enough to not look like a truck. I could be wrong...?

http://i.imgur.com/zZSph.jpg

vixen_w202
03-28-2013, 11:14 AM
Word of advice from personal experience: If you get nice 18X8's or 18x9's and stay at stock ride height, it's going to look funky. I know this because I went the same route before you. Low is the way to go.....bro.....lol....that rhymed.

Best advice I can give is find a nice balance between lowering/stance and driveability. I personally installed a H&R Sport Cup Kit last month going from a stock setup with blown shocks, and I absolutely love it. It's about as aggressive as I could find with a drop/suspension kit that they make for the w202 and the nice thing about it? Even when I purposely try to go up really steep driveways and inclines, there's no scraping. Also when you drop the car like I did, the handling improves quuuuiiitttte a lot. My drop is 2" in the front and 1.7" in the rear. I didn't have to tuck my fender lips, except for the one on the front passenger side.

The stance is very aggressive, but functional. Check out my pics in my album of my wheels with the lowered stance:

http://s360.photobucket.com/user/slyvia_altima/library/Mini%20Photoshoot%20in%20Boquet%20Canyon

My wheels are 18X8's and deep offset but are just generics. Name brands of wheels don't matter to me and the money I saved in buying off brand I was able to splurge on much better tires. I was tempted at first when I knew I was going to go lower to get different tires and do the stance/stretch look...but I'm more about performance than looks, so I kept my current wheel/tire combo.

subliminal-
03-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Hey,

I appreciate the insight. I completely agree, and think I may have just needed the affirmation from someone else.
The koni springs are only a 40/25mm drop, so I'm thinking it will be a nice balance between function and form.

Now just to figure out the other issue I'm having before I spend too much on this all and need it for that...

vixen_w202
03-28-2013, 11:56 AM
Please make sure if you are getting a lowering spring that you match it up with a shock that is designed for lower ride height. I ran a lowering spring on stock struts in another car and it was absolute hell to live with....and I ended up blowing them in less than 2 months because they weren't designed for that.

subliminal-
03-28-2013, 06:30 PM
Please make sure if you are getting a lowering spring that you match it up with a shock that is designed for lower ride height. I ran a lowering spring on stock struts in another car and it was absolute hell to live with....and I ended up blowing them in less than 2 months because they weren't designed for that.

Good point, got it covered!
As I pointed out in the first post I'm able to get Bilstein Sports dirt cheap via the dealership I work for.

Thanks for looking out! :)

steeb
03-30-2013, 04:20 PM
I vote option 2. Spend the money on the wheels. They will make or break the look of your car.

I'm running 18x8.5 monoblocks on stock height and I don't think it looks funky.

http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg265/steebbeets/20130210_122757.jpg

wichipong
03-30-2013, 04:30 PM
spend it on both... thats what ill do.. install the springs (since you have them) and get the bilsteins (since you get it cheap) then look around for wheels... it doesn't have to be baller wheels (wheels > car).. check craigslist and be patient... then that's what modding a car is about... lowering the car on stock wheels aint too bad looking FYI.

vixen_w202
03-30-2013, 05:48 PM
spend it on both... thats what ill do.. install the springs (since you have them) and get the bilsteins (since you get it cheap) then look around for wheels... it doesn't have to be baller wheels (wheels > car).. check craigslist and be patient... then that's what modding a car is about... lowering the car on stock wheels aint too bad looking FYI.

I'd agree with that, but it also depends on the wheel that came stock on the car. He has the standard 15's like I did, and even with a drop I still don't think he's going to get the look he wants. I know everyone on here is about monos or name brands, but personally I'd run a really clean off brand wheel and dump the money into a tire that's going to offer loads of grip.that way he can take full advantage of the new suspension setup and it's not gong to blow his budget for this out of the water. My wheels are generics, but they still give me the stance and look I want. As a matter of fact? The tires I have on them are almost double the cost of the wheels, for he fact that they're so grippy. Even though nobody has heard of the brand on my wheels I am happy with them.

For me, everything I've done on my car has revolved about doing it right but also keeping in mind I'm just a college student with a part-time job. If you have a good paying job and money to throw around, that's different. But the battle I fight In upgrading my car like I suspect he does is a balance between what he wants to do and do it right balanced with keeping in budget like me.

subliminal-
04-06-2013, 08:28 PM
I'd agree with that, but it also depends on the wheel that came stock on the car. He has the standard 15's like I did, and even with a drop I still don't think he's going to get the look he wants. I know everyone on here is about monos or name brands, but personally I'd run a really clean off brand wheel and dump the money into a tire that's going to offer loads of grip.that way he can take full advantage of the new suspension setup and it's not gong to blow his budget for this out of the water. My wheels are generics, but they still give me the stance and look I want. As a matter of fact? The tires I have on them are almost double the cost of the wheels, for he fact that they're so grippy. Even though nobody has heard of the brand on my wheels I am happy with them.

For me, everything I've done on my car has revolved about doing it right but also keeping in mind I'm just a college student with a part-time job. If you have a good paying job and money to throw around, that's different. But the battle I fight In upgrading my car like I suspect he does is a balance between what he wants to do and do it right balanced with keeping in budget like me.

I did just that. Both...

Ended up installing the Koni lowering springs, with the Bilstein Sports with thanks to a service tech at my works Mercedes spring compressor.
Made things incredibly easy compared to what I can only imagine a typical compressor would have been!

Also got a set of these with 245/35 Toyo R1R in the rear (18x9.5), and 225/40 Toyo R1R in the front (18x8.5).
Getting the tires mounted at work on Monday, and then I'll have a photo of it all together for whoever is interested in seeing.

http://i735.photobucket.com/albums/ww357/vpapadop/Mercedes%20wheels/P3103061_zps4376808e.jpg

vixen_w202
04-06-2013, 10:42 PM
Glad you took my advice. Smart man.

subliminal-
04-13-2013, 03:14 PM
Missing center cap is in the mail... Not sure how they managed to forget one.

http://i.imgur.com/gFXIGWD.jpg

arar_hany
04-23-2013, 07:36 AM
looks sick !!!

joshwwahhh
04-23-2013, 09:27 AM
Wow great job on the find! Those are the wheels im currently on the search for! Either that or the brabus monoblock VI

MikeD
04-23-2013, 10:37 AM
Wow! I regret not picking up a set of those when I found them local for $300