PDA

View Full Version : Metallic noise on light throttle and coasting.

subliminal-
03-28-2013, 09:51 AM
The car in question in a 2000 C230K.

The car is making a metallic noise that I can only relate in words to soda can tabs in a coffee can, spinning around the outer edge.
ching ching ching ching ching.

I can feel it in the shifter handle when coasting at slow speed.

The two ways it can always be replicated are just pushing the throttle pedal the tiniest amount past its resting point.
Also if I am to coast and put the car in neutral it will make the noise, afaik indefinitely, until put back into drive. (This was done as a test, not general practice by myself)

Car also clunks 1st to 2nd (read this is common?)
Trans fluid changed by a MB master tech at dealership several times to insure all new fluids.

Sorry for rambles, and I appreciate anyone's help!

melk
04-03-2013, 06:41 PM
Sounds like torque converter issue to me. What did the dealership think it was when you were having it serviced?

subliminal-
04-04-2013, 04:02 AM
At the time I was a bit naive to it all, and wrote it off as a heat shield in my own mind.
Never really mentioned the issue, just dropped it off for oil change, coolant flush, belt replacement a few days after I purchased it.

I used to only drive ~4 miles to work, now that I drive 30+ and on the highway has it begun to bother/worry me.
It seems to vibrate the whole shifter surround as well at highway coasting speeds making a noise from the various plastics vibrating.

From the little amount online I've found that sounds similar one fella had a bad CSB...

melk
04-18-2013, 01:36 PM
Any update on this? I'd like to know what you found out...

Mike51809
04-18-2013, 04:09 PM
Thats practically what mine did when the flex disc went bad and the driveshaft amplified the sound and gives that vibration you feel

subliminal-
04-19-2013, 10:27 AM
I'll have a tech put it up soon and check the flex discs.
I'll report back on that.

taz069
04-22-2013, 05:58 AM
I'd go along with Mike on that sounds like either a front or rear disc on the driveshaft. How many miles on you merc?