PDA

View Full Version : car wont run/start

zmatt
03-30-2013, 03:44 PM
No codes, plugs and maf are new. full tank of good gas, battery is fine. Car would start but refuse to idle, you could rev it and keep it going but would die when put in gear. If revs got below 1k it would sputter and die completely. With maf unplugged it would idle but would cut out if you gave it throttle. Now will try to start but die immediately. Old man says the fuel filter may be bad and I could be starving the engine at idle.

That's my next thing to check as there is no sensor that I know of for that. Does anyone know how to get to it?

taz069
03-31-2013, 04:34 AM
If you have the m104, well at least on my 96 c280 their is a pressure nipple under the hood. If you look at the top side of the intake runners their is a brass cap almost dead center. And is easy enough to get off. Been thinking of checking my pressure as well just havn't made it to autozone to rent the pressure tool. I know mine holds pressure i bumped the little stem and shot gas over the driver fender!! hehe. Keep me posted still having issues with mine. My cam positon sensor will be in soon. Good luck.

Yujin
03-31-2013, 08:34 AM
Lol, this happened to me.

Check any hoses for your air intake. Mine actually came loose and I had the same symptoms as you.

Jims202
03-31-2013, 09:34 AM
Remember there's 4 things that an engine needs to run, fuel, spark, air and compression, you know it has all of these but you start losing one when off idle, definitely check fuel pressure, sounds like your running in to a lean misfire, causing the car to shut off. Just a thought.

Yujin
03-31-2013, 10:33 AM
I bought both the fuel filter and pump as well, but it turned out that the coupling holding the MAF came loose. Embarrassing. I would check all your air tubes, i know you have that custom intake setup - I would start somewhere around there.

zmatt
03-31-2013, 06:31 PM
The MAF and associated mounting hardware are fine, any particular vacuum hoses on the manifold I should check for?

Yujin
04-01-2013, 02:44 AM
To be honest, I wouldn't know which ones. I know the one that came loose for me was next to the intercooler below the MAF. Your symptons sound the same as mine, where it will start up and die, I would suspect the fuel pump may be the cause if you throttle and it dies.

RemoLexi
04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
You have a big vacuume leak. Just as someone already said check both hoses under the intake and do not go any further testing fuel, replacing maf spark plugs ect.

It's a big vacuume leak.

zmatt
04-02-2013, 04:09 PM
I checked all the hoses I could find under the hood. Everything looks good as far as I can tell. I replaced the fuel filter, now she starts at least but still wont idle.

EDIT:

Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqDxpbOJs4w&feature=youtu.be

zmatt
04-04-2013, 12:11 PM
Any ideas?

hvmercy
04-04-2013, 12:40 PM
With the way it runs based on that video, it's hard to believe you don't have a CEL. But it I would have to take a wild guess that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
There is a canister in front of your windshield wiper washer reservoir that's worth checking out. The hoses coming out of there tend to become brittle and crack in time.

Even Remo suggested that you have a big vacuum leak, but the challenge is locating it.

Any ideas?

hvmercy
04-04-2013, 12:41 PM
With the way it runs based on that video, it's hard to believe you don't have a CEL. But it I would have to take a wild guess that you have a vacuum leak somewhere.
There is a canister in front of your windshield wiper washer reservoir that's worth checking out. The hoses coming out of there tend to become brittle and crack in time.

Even Remo suggested that you have a big vacuum leak, but the challenge is locating it.

Any ideas?

Yujin
04-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Zmatt

Yea, based on your video - its def. a Vaccum leak somewhere. I know it sounds ridiculous, but that video was exactly what I had to do to keep the car alive, second it idle'd it would die and all my lights would come on.

Good luck bro

zmatt
04-05-2013, 02:22 PM
well back under the hood I go. wish me luck mates.

zmatt
04-05-2013, 03:09 PM
Ok so after sticking my head down there and revving with the throttle cable I am no closer. Not sure what canister you are referring to, there's a metal "thing" with hard lines, wires and a hose in it but that looked fine. There are a few around the mani and they go into the depths. Is there an easy way to check this?

hvmercy
04-05-2013, 11:18 PM
I'll take a picture tomorrow and post it here.
The one you mentioned is the ABS - that's not what I am referring to.

Ok so after sticking my head down there and revving with the throttle cable I am no closer. Not sure what canister you are referring to, there's a metal "thing" with hard lines, wires and a hose in it but that looked fine. There are a few around the mani and they go into the depths. Is there an easy way to check this?

zmatt
04-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Ok cool

hvmercy
04-06-2013, 11:56 AM
This is the one I'm talking about. Notice the t-hose. These become brittle over time.

Ok cool

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-hRzQuXci8WM/UWB9Q1bU8II/AAAAAAAAAmc/2vfrSK4OiyE/s640/IMG_3001.jpg

zmatt
04-06-2013, 01:11 PM
I think you may be on to something. I reseated the hose that connects to the tb and it idled. It idled like shit, but it idled none the less. Took her around the block and she died at 2 stop signs, so still not liking the idle. When I got home it had gotten back to the old way so either the hose, the rubber fittings or the nipples are bad. heh. I pulled those hose, which in the process made one of the fittings pop off and disappear, shit, but I held one end and blew on it and no air came out. It does have a weird juncture in the middle, I'm not sure what it's job is.

zmatt
04-07-2013, 02:33 PM
Ok, so the thing in the middle is a valve, which seems to work just fine. Went to autozone, all of thier hoses are american so nothing will fit and the stealership is closed on weekends.

Yujin
04-08-2013, 04:39 PM
Could have been worse ZMatt, atleast its just an air vaccum issue.

zmatt
04-09-2013, 11:57 AM
Yeah I went to the dealer yesterday, part should be in tomorrow after work. Could be worse? heh, well I still have a fucked up rear quarter panel. Makes me consider selling the car when fixed and getting a clk.

zmatt
04-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Well i got the part in, but she still doesn't run. She did, and then my old man managed to kink the hose and now it's back to square one. It was on back order for two weeks....

zmatt
04-22-2013, 07:38 PM
Got the car back from the shop. Got it sorted pretty quick.