PDA

View Full Version : Simple/Short-term Fix to repair cracked pre-facelift front bumper?

vixen_w202
04-02-2013, 05:32 PM
If some of you recall I.....errrm....went to go visit my mother who lives out of town. We have sort of a bad relationship due to some personal issues I have with her since my parents divorced, but one day she needed help fixing a door that fell off its hinges and I had some compassion and came over. I had gotten there pretty late, and she said I could crash on the couch so I wouldn't have to drive home.

When I was in High School, I always parked in the front driveway behind her car. When I lived there when she left in the morning, she'd back around my car and drive away.....to me it became more of a reflex thing than anything since I knew she always pulled back around it. Fell into that same reflex when I went and came over that night.

Well, my assumption that she'd actually bother to look in the rearview mirror and see my car was there was incorrect. At about 7:30 AM, I hear a horrible clash in the front driveway.....and she'd smashed up my front-end. The damage overall was minor, but still pretty bad.

She told me she'd give me money to get it fixed, but the way my family functions *oh so normally*.....after a month of being patient, her going back on her word and trying to weasel her way out of damages, I had no choice but to file a claim against her to my insurance. Insurance went in my favor, but pretty much had decided they weren't going to fix the car. They gave me an agreed amount for damages, and I pocketed it. Most of the parts that were damaged like the headlights and grille I still had the originals, so I plastidipped the front grille bezel black, removed the broken avant-garde grille, reinstalled the old insert and just cleaned up the stock headlights. Had to order a new hood emblem too because that was damaged. The hood is buckled but it's so minor I didn't replace it.

It's sad though, since that happened my mom has done nothing but be nasty, blame me for the accident and blame me for having no ethics and turning in his own mother to insurance, raising her rate. And because of it, neither of us have spoken in almost a 2 months. Doesn't bother me though, she wants to be nasty and be a jerk to her own son, that's her choice. Just if she had kept to her word and paid me, we'd still probably be talking.....shoulda checked her rearview mirror before she tried to throw it into reverse and floor it without looking.......................

So my question is this: I really do not have any want or desire to buy a new bumper, I can just see the money spent in better areas if I wanted. There is a pretty big crack/hole in the front bumper, and a crack on the bottom left front side. I was curious if anyone could think of some halfway-decent looking way to reconstruct these cracked/broken areas that I could DIY for now until I get around to ordering an aftermarket one or buying another OEM. I just wanna do a simple, short term fix so it doesn't look so tacky until I get around to a more permanent solution.

Pic of the damaged areas, before I took off the lights and avant-garde grills:

http://i360.photobucket.com/albums/oo48/slyvia_altima/Cgosms_2013-01-2402-08-17.jpg

Think it's doable?

wichipong
04-02-2013, 05:56 PM
i think you just need the bumper frame...

vixen_w202
04-02-2013, 06:03 PM
i think you just need the bumper frame...

Agreed but until I pick one up I wanted to do sort of a patch-up job on the existing one. Just so when I drive around it doesn't look ghetto like it does now.

98Benzo
04-02-2013, 07:12 PM
Nothing is really `doable`when the bumper is cracked out that much. Put w.e money you have into purchasing a new bumper because any half ass way you do it, it`ll just be an eye sore. Pretty sure new front bumpers aren`t to pricey anyways...

hvmercy
04-02-2013, 07:52 PM
It will look ghetto if you just do a patch job. No other way to do it but replace it.
To say it in a more blunt way, it's going to look f'in UGLY! if not done the right way.

Agreed but until I pick one up I wanted to do sort of a patch-up job on the existing one. Just so when I drive around it doesn't look ghetto like it does now.

vixen_w202
04-05-2013, 05:47 PM
Just curious, can post-facelift bumpers fit up to pre-facelift cars? I think the post-facelift bumper looks wayyyyy better.

RobertCarew
06-13-2013, 07:08 AM
If you havent gotten a new bumper yet Rockauto.com has them at a nice price! i cant remember exactly how much but for my 95 c280 a new hood is $140 fenders $25 each thats how cheap they are so a bumper shouldnt be much more than the hood.

vixen_w202
06-13-2013, 07:49 AM
If you havent gotten a new bumper yet Rockauto.com has them at a nice price! i cant remember exactly how much but for my 95 c280 a new hood is $140 fenders $25 each thats how cheap they are so a bumper shouldnt be much more than the hood.

Got a C36 bumper since this post. Thanks.