PDA

View Full Version : C280 Belt squeak driving me crazy!

Aquaholic
04-05-2013, 04:01 PM
Hey fellas,

Alright, so I'v got a 1998 C280 and the belt has been squeaking now for a few weeks. At first it was only when the car was cold, then it began to do it constantly. I bought a can of belt dressing which eliminated the problem- until the next time I started my car. Now, every time I start my car I have to pop the hood and spray the belt so the darn thing doesn't squeak the whole time I'm driving.

I'v heard the belt tensioners fail notoriously in these cars, so I'm assuming that's the problem. My question is, how long can my car go on like this before the tensioner HAS to be replaced? (I'd do it immediately but I'm currently low on funds). Also, do you think a simple belt change could fix the problem? The one on there doesn't seem to be in bad shape.

Thanks guys any input is super appreciated!

thegame
04-05-2013, 04:59 PM
when my belt tensioner was squeaking you could see it vibrate/move a tiny beat . check that first before you replace it because it could be good and you might only need a new belt. the belt and the tensioner are very easy to replace your self. just remove the fan shroud give your self some more room You have a v6 so you have a lot more room then I did with my I6. watch this video even though is a c230 it is very similar http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXYzrmE0hfo

Aquaholic
04-07-2013, 09:03 AM
Thanks for the reply, that video is actually pretty helpful. Wish I had that much room in my 280 though. It looks like the tensioner is the culprit, does anyone know if the "Uroparts" brand tensioners are shotty? Or should I just shell out the extra cash and go OEM?

Sulaco
04-07-2013, 01:06 PM
uro is chinese. a stop gap replacement.

try to stick to OEM as much as you can. 9 times out of ten the tensioner is fine, and its other issues. I would try to replace belt and tighten tensioner first. BE SURE TO FOLLOW PROPER PROCEDURE:

there's a bolt that runs through the center of the tensioner. it's the "pivot" bolt. it's a big hex/allen head bolt you will find between/below water pump pulley and power steering pulley. loosen it before you adjust tensioner. you will see tensioner adjustment bolt sticking up and to the right. it's a long thing at the end of a threaded rod. this is what applies or removes tension to the tensioner as you tighten or loosen the adjuster bolt. if I recall, it's reverse. loosen the bolt to tighten the belt, I THINK. but always always always be sure you've loosened the pivot bolt or you will ruin the adjusting bolt/rod.

Aquaholic
04-07-2013, 02:37 PM
Sulaco, that's just the reply I was looking for thanks. Just ordered an oem belt from autohaus, cant wait to stop that squeal!