PDA

View Full Version : Ticking noise from engine bay...

98Benzo
04-05-2013, 09:04 PM
When my buddy was hoping into my car today he told me he noticed a ticking noise coming from my car. So I jumped out to hear it and it sounded like it was coming from the engine bay. I popped the hood and you could hear the fast ticking noise a lot better. I know its coming from the engine or where the belts are located. Does anybody know what this could be? I know it could be a million different thing but just throwing it out there for any feed back. Thanks guys. Cheers :)

wichipong
04-05-2013, 09:53 PM
give more info as to what time the ticking sound is heard relative to when you start the car.. also if possible attach an audio/video file to better help you out.

taz069
04-06-2013, 04:59 AM
This probably is not related to your ticking noise, for my ticking was coming from the intake but it is one i just fixed on my lil 96 c280. The diverter baffle built into the intake runners was the culprit on mine. It had a steady and constant ticking going on. The only thing i could come up with is upon removal the lower actuator arm seal was all but missing, the rest was dry and brittle. About the only conclusion i came up with is it was sucking air in thru the missing gasket. And the lil solinoid was constantly going on and off as the vacuum chamber was not woriking properly off of intake pressure. The baffle rotates 180 degrees off for better low and high rpm performance. I replaced the broken gasket with a few small o-ring gaskets sliping them over the actuator arm and down onto the shaft. Seems to work now and the clicking on mine has subsided, for now. Hope this is helpful.

98Benzo
04-07-2013, 06:45 PM
Thanks Taz069 I am going to have my mechanic look at it this week some time. I will try to provide audio/video of the noise. It only happens for the first few minutes on a cold start up. It goes away once the car is warmed up. I just hope it isn't anything major. There is about 178,000 kilometeres on the motor. Is there any major issues that could possibly go wrong at around 175-200,000KM??

taz069
04-08-2013, 07:40 AM
If there has been regular maintance on the vehicle i would be inclind to say probably not. But and this is a big But!! If the car has been neglected then the posabilities of replacing a ton of old and wore out parts will and i mean will come into play!! I didn't realize that the head gaskets were a problem on the 96 c280's until after i got mine. It had 196,000 miles on it. But it was no biggie to me. Just all the usual thing,s. A car with as many miles as mine was due for a major overhaul. New radiator, water pump, ac comp, rotor's, fuel pump and the list goes on and on. Just pay attention to the coolant temp, and check the oil! Look for leaks, look for leaks! And listen for that odd ball sound that dosen't sound quite right. Majority of the time if you hear or smell it something is not right. Hope this helps.

98Benzo
04-08-2013, 03:16 PM
This car has been babied since brand new seeing how my granfather drove it for the first 11 years and once i got it a few years ago I have done nothing but baby it so this car is far from neglected. Like you said maybe some things are starting to go seeing how it is a 1998 and has been driven through 14 winters and I am in Canada the winters SUCK up here. My car goes in tmrw morning anyways so i can figure out whats going on with it. Thanks for the help taz069.

hvmercy
04-08-2013, 04:01 PM
belt tensioner pulley perhaps.

taz069
04-22-2013, 06:38 AM
Have you found the issue yet? Along with what hvmercy has suggested, this is one thing i just did to mine. I just replace the fan clutch bearing housing, it's one complete piece. It came off a donor car with 135,000 miles. It is what the fan and clutch bolts too. You could free spin mine and hear and feel that the bearing was going out, it was just going to be a later day project. But seeing how I got the timing chain off one tooth when i put the motor back together and had to tear it all back apart againg I figured might as well do that as well!! I got the donor part off ebay for aroun 15$. Yeah I know it's not brand spankin new but it has 60,000 less miles than mine and it sound's great no grinding or high pitched noises from it. Just another thought. Let us know what you come up with.