PDA

View Full Version : key recognition

mercjohn
04-27-2013, 07:02 AM
i was "gifted" a C180, 1998 model, this week. car has lain for a couple years unused but was driving when parked up. fitted a new battery but neither the opening sensors on either door nor the ignition switch will acknowledge the key and the alarm is in constant activation. i have checked the batteries in the remote and they measure fine plus the red led flashes brightly when any button pressed and remains lit when inserted into the ignition. also, if pointed at a CCTV camera and activated the IR transmission can be seen. I dont know this model at all but this strikes me as some sort of "CTRL/ALT/DEL" issue and which i can find no reference to in the user manual. any help or pointers appreciated.
JOHN

thegame
04-27-2013, 04:29 PM
Which key do you have the one with a single big button in the middle or the one with three buttons? They way to sinc the key with the big button in the middle is by pushing the big button twice and then with in 30 sec you turn the ignition in to position 2

mercjohn
04-27-2013, 10:54 PM
Which key do you have the one with a single big button in the middle or the one with three buttons? They way to sinc the key with the big button in the middle is by pushing the big button twice and then with in 30 sec you turn the ignition in to position 2

its the three button key that is electronic IR so not even the ability to unlock the steering

mercjohn
04-28-2013, 12:02 AM
its the three button key that is electronic IR so not even the ability to unlock the steering

of course i have just realised that the IR transmission from the key is just for window close and that the lock unlock is RF so need to get key checked somehow but any relevant advice appreciated.

mercjohn
04-30-2013, 12:11 AM
of course i have just realised that the IR transmission from the key is just for window close and that the lock unlock is RF so need to get key checked somehow but any relevant advice appreciated.

key issued resolved - faulty key. now that it has been started after 3 years lying up on to the next list of problems and warning lights!

melk
05-03-2013, 04:27 AM
How did the engine run on startup? Did you add fresh fuel first? How's the oil? etc etc... 3 years is a long time to sit!