PDA

View Full Version : Dreaded key will not turn in EIS

SpEeDy230
04-27-2013, 11:32 AM
hey guys, have a quick question for the experts. Im having the dreaded key not turning in EIS cylinder problem. Symptoms are Key will NOT lock or unlock the car, key will not turn in ignition but door chime does come on when key is inserted and I've never noticed it before but the car can come out of park WITHOUT the key inserted. Ive tried the charge and disconnect the battery and checked all fuses and they are all ok. Also left the key in the EIS to see if it will reprogram itself.

My question is, Ive researched this problem and have not seen anyone online say that the car can go out of park with out the key in the ignition. Could this still be the problem of the Key or EIS? Again the fob seems dead as the batteries in it are new and the car does not respond to lock, unlock and trunk pop procedures. The key fob is also the original key from 1998 and i only have one key as i got it like that as i purchased it from 2003.

thank you for the help in advance.

dokotela
04-27-2013, 01:29 PM
Sounds like the key has lost it's coding
Try having it reprogrammed. Newer shorter keys are expensive from stealer.

joshwwahhh
09-27-2013, 11:03 AM
Sorry to thread jack but im having so much trouble with key fob. Its about to die changed the batteries the eis works fine. Question now is how do i get my key "reprogrammed" or i really have no other choice but to replace it with a brand new one for about 300 dollars

SD202
09-27-2013, 11:06 AM
:mad: man this sucks ! hope you get it all figured out.

Sulaco
09-27-2013, 11:07 AM
No fix for a faulty key fob except a new one. Reprogramming is $60 at the dealership and if your key is on the fritz then it's just a waste of money.

Call different indy shops and see if they can get you a key cheaper. My dealer got me one for $230 reprogrammed. New key is sexy, too!

Section 8
09-28-2013, 04:21 AM
my friend is having the exact issue i even made a thread about it yesterday

http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?18558-update-98-wont-start-wont-even-crank

so is a new key the way forward then?

RemoLexi
09-28-2013, 06:50 AM
DAS 3 keys CANNOT be reprogrammed by any dealer !!!

Those keys die all the time especially if yours is as old as 98'.

When you order one from the dealer it comes vin coded ready to go.

Do NOT buy a used key fob as it CANNOT be reprogrammed. You will own a $50 keychain from eBay. Big ass rip off.

arleighc
10-10-2013, 10:05 PM
Hello all. I am new to this forum. I super love my 99 c280. Unfortunately, I think im having the same problem that the OP is talking abput. However I am unsure.

Ive read through a lot of threads. So far, what I think I have (based on what ive read) is an EIS problem or a key problem. I am unsure so I am hoping you guys can clear it up for me. And hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction to get this fixed as I need my beloved C280 cause its my only car.

Heres the story: I went to class. Got back, opened my car door via keyless entry. Put the key in ignition. Lo and behold, it would not turn at all. I wiggled and jiggled, nothing. Steering wheel wasnt locked so it wasnt that. Gearbox was in park. Wasnt that either.

I then remembered when this happend before, the battery was the problem. However, I did notice the mileage was showing, lights turned on, and the beeping sound that beeps when door is open while the key is in ignition beeping. I still checked the battery (which is new by the way) and it was connected. So that wasnt it.

I started checking the forums and here I am now. Do I need to replace the key or EIS?

Details pertinent to problem:

Model: 99 C280

Key: Newer ones. Looks like a 2012 model key.

Why gearbox was able to move: when my brother and I replaced tranny, my bro did something that took off the locking mechanism.

Does key work for unlocking doors? YES.

Advice and guidance would be highly appreciated. Love this forum btw!

RemoLexi
10-11-2013, 09:24 AM
EIS fail often especially as 202's are getting old.

EIS module isn't something you can buy used or replace yourself. It's coded, can only be coded once to your car and has to be coded via SDS. Even if you went to the dealer to buy a new EIS, chances are they may not even sell you one. TRP (theft replacement parts) aren't always availible for sale to public, only when you have your car in the shop for the full repair.

You also need to start with proper diag, not forum diag.

You must go in with SDS and read fault codes in the EIS, and check if the key is faulty or the EIS.

arleighc
10-11-2013, 01:25 PM
EIS fail often especially as 202's are getting old.

EIS module isn't something you can buy used or replace yourself. It's coded, can only be coded once to your car and has to be coded via SDS. Even if you went to the dealer to buy a new EIS, chances are they may not even sell you one. TRP (theft replacement parts) aren't always availible for sale to public, only when you have your car in the shop for the full repair.

You also need to start with proper diag, not forum diag.

You must go in with SDS and read fault codes in the EIS, and check if the key is faulty or the EIS.

Awww man.. that sucks. Well I guess i have to pray for the one thats the cheapest and I imagine its the key.

Forgive me on my noobiness but what is SDS? And where do I get this diagnosis done at? The dealer or a shop would be fine??

RemoLexi
10-12-2013, 06:50 AM
SDS - Star diag. Scanner.

So far it's the only scan tool dealers used but rumours it will be getting replaced, it's very outdated. (Even with updates)

BMW just released Icon not too long ago and comparing that to the Mercedes SDS is like using an IPhone VS. a standard calculator.

But to answer your final question, dealer or a reputable shop who has an SDS

Sulaco
10-12-2013, 04:03 PM
An overwhelming number of times with this issue it's the key. You don't have a known good key? Eating time and money until you rule the key out. The key goes everywhere and thus fails way more often. I had this exact same issue. Exactly. All threads I found seemed way too simple. I caved and got a new key and that fixed it.

arleighc
10-12-2013, 08:28 PM
SDS - Star diag. Scanner.

So far it's the only scan tool dealers used but rumours it will be getting replaced, it's very outdated. (Even with updates)

BMW just released Icon not too long ago and comparing that to the Mercedes SDS is like using an IPhone VS. a standard calculator.

But to answer your final question, dealer or a reputable shop who has an SDS

Ok thank you for the advice. Ill keep this thread updated.

An overwhelming number of times with this issue it's the key. You don't have a known good key? Eating time and money until you rule the key out. The key goes everywhere and thus fails way more often. I had this exact same issue. Exactly. All threads I found seemed way too simple. I caved and got a new key and that fixed

unfortunately, I dont have another key. I wish I did cause then I would know what the prob is. Just dont want to waste my money buying a key and then it ends up being the EIS.

Vetruck
10-13-2013, 06:55 AM
Do I have EIS on my older 94 ? Sorry for the hijack, I am just curious (I do not think I do)

8=Anonymous=8
10-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Do I have EIS on my older 94 ? Sorry for the hijack, I am just curious (I do not think I do)

No, you shouldn't.

EIS stands for Electronic Ignition Switch. Introduced with the facelifts.
(That wierd key that does the lighty stuff ;) )

RemoLexi
10-13-2013, 09:06 PM
94-96 was DAS 1 which is a simple basic old key blade.

96- was weird because some 202's had a normal key blade and some had the switchblade key.

97- was DAS 2 and had switchblade keys, all US spec 202's

98- was DAS 3 with smartkey and EIS (as posted above, electronic ig. Switch)

And funny thing is, Chrysler started using similar shaped smart keys and the Chrysler dealer claims they 'invented' the smart key, yet Mercedes had them since 98'.

Vetruck
10-13-2013, 09:57 PM
Thanks guys, One lless thing to worry about for me. I have dealt with VATS on the GM cars and talk about a bitch. That goes haywire and you don;t get the car started...period. Takes an ECM whiz to get it figured out.

RemoLexi
10-14-2013, 07:43 AM
One good thing about the EIS is they are cake to replace... There's no lock mechanism that you would have to drill out if the tumbler is locked up.

I've done quite a handful of MB ignition locks, and DAS 2 by far is the worst and is usually the most expensive.

Sulaco
10-14-2013, 07:58 AM
unfortunately, I dont have another key. I wish I did cause then I would know what the prob is. Just dont want to waste my money buying a key and then it ends up being the EIS.[/QUOTE]

2 choices:
Spend anywhere from $800 to $1500 on new EIS, hoping that fixes it.

Or

Spend $200-300 on a new key, hoping that fixes it.

Rule of thumb for DIY is when you cannot pinpoint issue, start replacing parts from cheapest to most expensive until it works.

Sulaco
10-14-2013, 07:59 AM
unfortunately, I dont have another key. I wish I did cause then I would know what the prob is. Just dont want to waste my money buying a key and then it ends up being the EIS.[/QUOTE]

2 choices:
Spend anywhere from $800 to $1500 on new EIS, hoping that fixes it.

Or

Spend $200-300 on a new key, hoping that fixes it.

Rule of thumb for DIY is when you cannot pinpoint issue, start replacing parts from cheapest to most expensive until it works.

RemoLexi
10-14-2013, 11:12 AM
No ... Rule of thumb is get your car diagnosed properly and NOT throw random parts at it!

Sulaco
10-14-2013, 11:58 AM
No ... Rule of thumb is get your car diagnosed properly and NOT throw random parts at it!

Please read again: "Rule of thumb for DIY is when you cannot pinpoint issue"

Whenever your issue cannot be properly diagnosed given specific conditions. I was in this situation myself. Guess what? Dealership said they can't properly diagnose this issue without a known-good key, as well. Their first step was to order a new key, too.

RemoLexi
10-15-2013, 07:44 AM
Idk what dealership you go to but you can go in with the SDS even if the key doesn't turn and test the response from the key to the car. No response from the key= hey you need a key.

arleighc
11-14-2013, 10:03 PM
so i went to a shop... they said it's the EIS. how do they test the key? i was about to ask the question how would i know if the shop is lying about it being the EIS to make some money, but i thought for a second and realized that when the job was done, it should work.

anyways, so whats your guys opinion on something ive been considering:

some background info:

my 99 c280, i believe, is in better than fair condition if not excellent. replaced the tranny about 5 years ago. its at 260K miles. the exterior (seriously needs a paintjob) and interior is not in tiptop condition but it will do. bluebook says its $2100 dollars in value.

should i not worry about fixing, junk it for like $500.00 and buy another car

OR

fix it, paint it, and sell it?? will someone even buy it for 2000 given the mileage??