PDA

View Full Version : Confused about 99 C280 Head Unit Change with BOSE Speakers

lovinbenz
05-02-2013, 12:47 PM
Ok. I've been reading so much on this and still am confused. What I've read so far is that you need the following to change stock HU to aftermarket HU:

1.) Head Unit
2.) Removal Tool
3.) Wiring Harness
4.) Hi Lo Converter

What I am confused about is whether or not I do need a HI LO converter. I understand (from another post) WHY a HI LO converter would be needed for the factory BOSE amps. However, when I went to a "pro" he said because the HU has RCA plugs, and my wiring harness has RCA plugs, I won't need the converter. However, I am hesistant because I don't want to EVENTUALLY blow my factory installed amp. Can someone please clarify this. Below is a picture of what I have. BTW, I have an Alpine UTE-42BT.

So do I need a Hi Lo converter?? If so, can someone please provide a link to where I can purchase one. :-)

Thank you for this great forum dedicated to our lovely MB!! Will be using it a lot now :-)

anf6789
05-02-2013, 12:58 PM
technically no.

The hi/lo drops the Level of the amplified sound. your alpine will just play louder at a lower level on the knob.

lovinbenz
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
technically no.

The hi/lo drops the Level of the amplified sound. your alpine will just play louder at a lower level on the knob.

Oh ok. So in reference to post --> "Head Unit With BOSE audio (http://www.club202.com/forums/showthread.php?2120-Head-Unit-With-BOSE-audio/page2)

J Irwan says:

If you're planning to use Bose amp, then get the Hi-low conventer...

why...?

this is more fundamental knowledge on car electronic..

all amplifier is design to accept signal from the headunit.
(some have built in hi-low converter, that's why certain amp can accept speaker level input)

And almost all aftermarket, has high output wattage these day.
And if you feed these(high output wattage) to your amp, if will fry your amp and who knows what other complication . . sooner or later..

Also there is no way to rewire Bose Amp to fit aftermarket headunit..

that is just bull, what are you trying to accomplished by re-wiring.

Bose Amp on my car has 7 channel
and is configured specifically for specific bose speaker.
2 front dash (with specific freq program), 2 front door midbass speaker,2 rear door midrange , 2 rear shelf midrange, and 1 rear shelf bass unit.

And if you're planning to use aftermarket speaker, then get Aftermarket amps, or connect your aftermarket headunit to the aftermarket speaker directly... (bose speaker rated at 2ohm)

Aftermarket headunit is rated at 4 ohm impedance, so does 99% of car speaker.

It is very important to understand the concept before playing around with car ICE , especially car electronic getting more and more complicated these days.

The last thing you want it to have short in your electrical system.

Regardz,

Sorry if I sound redundant. I just want to make sure I don't need it. Don't want future problems.

MikeD
05-02-2013, 03:43 PM
Just get it. It's really not that expensive, and you'll avoid any problems altogether.

anf6789
05-02-2013, 06:13 PM
PAC oem2 is a good one

lovinbenz
05-02-2013, 08:53 PM
Thank you guys so much for the clarity. NOw, one more:

Is this an acceptable LOC?? --> LOC High Level to RCA (http://www.uneeksupply.com/Line-Output-Converter--High-Level-to-RCA-_p_6824.html)

Or should I buy the PAC??

Thanks in advanced!

anf6789
05-03-2013, 09:57 AM
That'll work too

Denlasoul
05-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Based on the information here, I was not supposed to use a Hi-Low converter. I installed my unit and too much noise, so I tacked on a converter. Problem solved.

You can reference the "Nakamichi" Threads id you want more background info.