PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed from the w202 owners living with the 722.4 transmission....

vixen_w202
05-16-2013, 07:47 PM
I'm one of the several club202 members that own the earlier models, which means I fall in the 94-96 section that ran the 722.4 or 722.424 transmission. I have the 722.424

While I have the car under for service, I think I might as well tackle a mini flush on the transmission and a new filter. However, I know that since my transmission is vacuum/hydraulically shifted, there are some procedures I have to undergo to alleviate the hard shifting issue I have in most gears. I read a tutorial/walkthrough on mbworld.com, but it's be really cool if someone on our home forum could come forward and help me with how to do an adjustment to what controls the shifts and how to make them less harsh and kinda random.

Thanks.

Vetruck
05-19-2013, 09:16 AM
I would be curious on this also. I know the little 94 I have shifts very hard 1st to 2nd. The rest is fine. That first bump is annoying for what is suppose to be a luxury car. As for durability, I have read these trans are the most reliable Mercedes ever put out. I also know from my buddy who built GM drag race trannys that the harder the shift the more lubrication is present, its the other things like rearends and u-joints that take the abuse over time. SInce we have the rubber u-joints, that is not an issue- and i have not read any problems with the diff, but I would like to also know if 1st could be toned down just a tad so my friking head does not hit the headrest when Im doing a 5mph upshift at 1/4 throttle.

Dearlove
05-19-2013, 06:27 PM
it shouldn't be shifting from 1st to 2nd at all unless your selecting 2nd or putting your foot down
It's suppose to start in 2nd

Vetruck
05-19-2013, 09:45 PM
it shouldn't be shifting from 1st to 2nd at all unless your selecting 2nd or putting your foot down
It's suppose to start in 2nd

No, I can assure you the C220 4g-tronic transmission starts in 1st gear always. It is an inherent problem these always had with very hard 1st-2nd shifts. There is a fix mechanics use by changing a spring inside that still gives the 1st-2nd a frm shift, but not the factory hard shift they are known for.

RobertCarew
06-13-2013, 07:00 AM
adjusting the modulator valve can make it shift harder too or softer clockwise harder counter clockwise softer... mine is a start in second car but mine with foot to the floor when it hits second it barks the tires, should see the looks i get lol