PDA

View Full Version : lowering options

RyanG
05-29-2013, 11:24 PM
Hello,

Im new here and i was hoping some of you guys can help point me in the right direction. I have a 1998 C280 thats completely stock and im looking to lower it. Im mostly looking to minimize the wheel gap while maintaining a practical ride height. Im pretty conservative behind the wheel (probably because i had a couple accidents before i even got my drivers licence) although i do like to indulge in agressive driving every now and then. The car is daily driven so i want it to have a comfortable ride during 40 mile commutes but i wont be racing it on a track or anything.

Thanks!

AtomicVette
05-30-2013, 05:50 AM
From what I could tell during my research, H&R and Eibach are the most popular choice of lowering spring around here.

wichipong
05-30-2013, 06:20 AM
h&r sports and bilstein shocks.... my car is somewhat daily driven... you probably seen me around town :D

Denlasoul
05-30-2013, 08:10 AM
There are three typcial options, with two of them being the Eibach and H&R route. IIRC, both companies make an OE spring which lowers minimally. The last option would be the Euro Spec OEM springs. They are about 10-12mm shorter than the US Spec spring.

Regardless of which route you choose, you can add additional height or lowering by changing your spring pads. Spring pads are 5mm difference in size, so you can play aroun with a combination that suits your needs.

Search the Part Number Forum for the information regarding Euro Spec springs and pads. I think the Thread is called "Common Part Numbers" or something like that. It is probably within the first 3 pages of that Forum.

RyanG
05-30-2013, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the replies. As far as spring pads go, are there any advantages/disadvantages in regards to the thickness other than the ride height?

Denlasoul
05-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. As far as spring pads go, are there any advantages/disadvantages in regards to the thickness other than the ride height?
Nope. They are used based on the engine size and options. Also, "Sport" models likely had smaller pads for a more agressive stance.

wichipong
05-30-2013, 08:00 PM
no spring pads on mine.. lol

hvmercy
05-30-2013, 08:46 PM
Don't you get "clunking" sound?

@RyanG depending on your preference H&R + Bilstein HD is better than Eibach Sport + Koni. I've tried both but settled with Eibach + Bilstein sport because I ran out of money trying to experiment.

no spring pads on mine.. lol