PDA

View Full Version : Rear window stuck open from ICE !!

202rules
11-01-2003, 05:18 PM
Yesterday there was a lot of ice here in Colorado, so after 30 minutes of removing the ice from the windows and windshield, I tried to open the rear right window and oops it got stuck open. So I asked how much it takes to replace the regulator and they said about $300, ouch!!

Today, I removed the indoor panel and too a look inside, what happened is that the motor moves the rail that the window is sitting on using a wire that is connected to the rail from two sides (up and down). The wire was very rusty and broke from the bottom, so do you know if it can be replaced alone??? Anyway, this is my bad luck story for now, I hope they don't make me pay $300!

nokia8860
11-01-2003, 06:27 PM
I think by design the window regulator/rail/wire etc can not be replaced via parts but whole.

Its a simple job, which you have discovered requires taking of the door card, releasing the window from the regulator, remove the entire regulator assembly then go back from there with the installation of the new on.

This happend to me on my 201 and it was raining like crazy that day so I stop by the dealer, bought the part and replaced it right there on the curb parking.

Price for the regulator is as follow

202 730 13 46 Left : Retail : 171 Whole: 137 Dealer 103

for the right side sub the 13 for a 14.

Best of luck.

202rules
11-01-2003, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by nokia8860
Price for the regulator is as follow

202 730 13 46 Left : Retail : 171 Whole: 137 Dealer 103

for the right side sub the 13 for a 14.

Best of luck.

Thanks a lot nokia. I'm not sure I understood which one is the price though, was it $171, what's the 137 and 103. Sorry I'm a bit slow :P !

I'm going to cut the wire tomorrow to be able to close the window, and on Monday I might go and buy the part.

nokia8860
11-01-2003, 06:45 PM
First price is usally what they charge you when you just walk in. 2nd price is if they like you. 3rd price is if you own your own dealership :)

Denlasoul
11-01-2003, 06:47 PM
From what I understand, the prices are as follows:

Retail (what you usually pay): 171
Wholesale (what a company buys in bulk and sells individually: 137ea
Dealer's cost 103.

Therefore, if you go to the dealer and they say the part is 171, then you are paying actual retail preice of 171. Though, the dealer only pays 103, so the difference is stealership profit.

edit: man nokia, beat me again! ;)

202rules
11-01-2003, 10:13 PM
OK, i get it now. Damn, they are really a damn stealership, and they freakin charge so much for labor, damn it. Do you know any people who sell them for wholesale price or even the cost price????

Eurosport
11-01-2003, 10:50 PM
if it's just the regulator, before buying a new one, to save money, call some junk yards in your area, they have those pretty cheap, used yes but they do work

202rules
11-02-2004, 10:25 AM
LOL

I've been driving for a year now with my rear right window stuck in the closed position :D I think I deserve the award for best procrastinator :p

Last night I took out the regulator and was able to replace the cable with a bicycle brake cable, I'm just waiting to borrow a good rivet gun from someone to hook it up.

So instead of paying $202 for a new regulator, or paying the $135 that a junk yard in Denver wanted for a used one, I paid $4 for the cable and $4 for the rivets (they're steel .. mean rivets :mad: ).

My advice for people whose windows get stuck like that, DON'T KEEP TRYING IT WHILE IT'S BROKEN, STOP F*CKING AROUND WITH IT LIKE I DID :D, YOU'RE JUST GONNA SCREW THE PARTS INSIDE THE REGULATOR AND MAKE IT HARDER TO FIX

H3MAN
11-10-2004, 01:00 AM
hahahahaa
you done this man lol
guess what my back windows exactly the same both wires were rusty and both snapped and windows were not operating for a whole year. i got sick of all the people in the back complaining about the windows not going down.

so then what do i do open it all up take both regulators out complete with the wiring mechanism, and i screwed with normal wire and tried to put rivets on the end of each side of the wire to hold them in, but let me tell u something the rivets came straight out with the pull power of the window.
then i purchased brake cable for a mountain bike with one end which had a little round bit of weld already on and then i put that in one side and the other side i thought now what do i do.

then i used a cup like drill bit which had a hold in the top about 4mm deep 3 mm diameter, i put the weld in there with a hot blow torch and then dipped the other side of the wire in and then spilt cold water on there and it cooled and i had a wire with 2 normal ends strong and strengthened.

then me being all happy take it and fit it together(noting like u said dont fuck about with it because the plastic wheel inside, all the thread gets ruined away an u need to used a nail to clean it deeper so its all running smooth). then i put it all back together and put it in the car.

guess what?????

one side is perfect other side i pull it up and down all good, just before i close the door i check it again and snap, the weld rips off.

i was so annoyed after about 12-15 times of welding i got it right, and then they closed and opened perfectly no matter how much u hold the down or up button for after theyre all the way down or up.

then i finally greased everything inside the wheel outisde the wires even the rivet holes and rivets because all the water when washing the car goes down there and this is the best way to maintain it all.

now they are working brilliantly, i would have got the dealer part, but why when both motors worked fine and only the wire was gone, they were conning me and i aint having that sorri!!!!!

now my windows r smooth and up down anyway u want all good, but only i know how much shit i had to go through to do it, so i dont get all happy that youve used brake cable and now u gota put it back together again check they work and the cable ends dont snap off before putting the side card on again ull just have to get someone to hold the card whilst u plug it in after fitting the motor back with rivets and then press up and down to the ends if its all good its all good....if not then u better go and buy lots of rivets and a gun like i had to do lol

hope this helps

kind regards

H3MAN

202rules
11-12-2004, 01:52 PM
LOL, stupid people won't stop complaining man :D

You know I was able to save one of the end caps that was inside the element that drives the window rail up and down, I just pried the end cap out and re-used it, worked fine, the problem is that I lost the other end cap, so I had to use the end cap from a mountain bike cable too :p and it did snap so easily.

I will probably replace that end soon and it should be working fine.

Good to see another person who did it :D

CKlasse
11-12-2004, 02:02 PM
Go to Al's Auto Haus in Denver.