PDA

View Full Version : Odd behavior of my SRS light and a shifter question - 1995 C220

imautoparts
06-07-2013, 09:00 AM
Hi all,

I'm pleased to report that the little c220 I bought on a whim from a friend who is ill and can no longer use it has worked out pretty well. The replacement transmission is installed, shifts nicely and the car runs and drives as promised (very nice and tight - must be the light motor vs my c280).

The SRS light illuminates every time I start the car, but then goes out after a few blocks of driving. What would cause that? Is it normal or do I need to service some component of the system?

Also, the shifter feels a bit loose. Did the shop fail to tighten something properly or are there bushings that commonly wear out (165K miles)? You have to be a bit careful or it is easy to put the shifter into 3rd instead of drive if you pull it smartly down into the drive position.

Any information is appreciated - thanks!

Denlasoul
06-07-2013, 10:01 AM
I believe a low batter would throw SRS light and go away as its being charged while driving.

Shifter bushings are typically replaced. Not sure about life, but they do wear out "quickly"

RobertCarew
06-13-2013, 06:43 AM
sounds like the cluster was out and key was on...mine does the same thing and thats what happened i had the cluster out testing wires now it comes on and then goes off after about a minute or more.

mbsickness
06-13-2013, 07:06 AM
The loose shifter could be a worn shifter bushing and is a very common item to go bad. The SRS light going out after two minutes is an indication that there is a fault in the seat buckle. The system is still functional but the buckle needs replacement. That being said once the buckle is replaced you will need the system to be reset by an SDS. It will not automatically clear the fault.

imautoparts
06-13-2013, 12:10 PM
Thanks! I think you are right it is the driver's side buckle. I notice sometimes jiggling it will make the light go off quicker.

I decided not to worry about the shifter- it is a bit loose but I got used to it quickly.