PDA

View Full Version : Mercedes Spring Compressor

KYEw202
06-12-2013, 08:43 PM
Hello does anyone know where I can get the spring compressor for our car, for rent or borrow someones? :) lol I'm in the Sacramento,CA area please let me know thank you

thegame
06-13-2013, 08:35 AM
ebay thats where i got mine

Vetruck
06-13-2013, 08:43 AM
ebay thats where i got mine x2- just recieved mine yesterday

AtomicVette
06-13-2013, 08:43 AM
I was able to get the spring off with normal spring compressors, however it wan't easy. I don't know how much the mercedes spring compressor is, but I don't think I'd pay more than 100 bucks for it if you're only gonna use it once.

Vetruck
06-13-2013, 08:50 AM
I was able to get the spring off with normal spring compressors, however it wan't easy. I don't know how much the mercedes spring compressor is, but I don't think I'd pay more than 100 bucks for it if you're only gonna use it once.

I bought it becasue I will be using it several times int he next few months getting this car dialed in and trying a few combination. they are dirt cheap when it comes to time vs money, they are really a nice design and makes yanking springs to check bumpsteer a really nice option without having to take the time to break balljoints apart/drop the arm, then reassemble for recording-and repeat to put it back. I had it shipped to my door step for $187. Unless you yank your springs and articulate the suspension through travel- or pull it down on a rack with a pulley system, you are not going to know what the toe is doing and the car will be darty like so many on here I have read report.

KYEw202
06-13-2013, 08:25 PM
how did you do it with the normal compressors? do you have the steps? thanks

I bought it becasue I will be using it several times int he next few months getting this car dialed in and trying a few combination. they are dirt cheap when it comes to time vs money, they are really a nice design and makes yanking springs to check bumpsteer a really nice option without having to take the time to break balljoints apart/drop the arm, then reassemble for recording-and repeat to put it back. I had it shipped to my door step for $187. Unless you yank your springs and articulate the suspension through travel- or pull it down on a rack with a pulley system, you are not going to know what the toe is doing and the car will be darty like so many on here I have read report.
ill look into it more do you know if any places rent it out? because i do just need it once thanks

AtomicVette
06-14-2013, 08:59 AM
You can kind of see the steps in my build thread.

basically just use a jack to jack the lower arm up as far as it will go without lifting the car (to get as much compression on the spring as possible) then put the spring compressors on with the hooks as far away from each other as you can get them, then start tightening the bolts on the compressors. in the rear it was really easy, compressed them as far as I could, then pulled the lower control arm inner bushing bolts, and it popped right out. The front was a little harder, had to take off the steering ball and upper control arm ball joints, then follow the same procedure as the rear, except don't pull the inner bushing bolts. The arm should drop far enough for you to get the springs out.

Here's the rear (the spring was for safety in case it decided to pop out)

http://www.badimagegraphics.com/mercedes/D2SpringSafety.jpg

Here is the spring compressor installed and ready to tighten

http://www.badimagegraphics.com/Mercedes/D2Front4.jpg

and the spring out.

http://www.badimagegraphics.com/Mercedes/D2Front5.jpg

Be careful! there is a lot of tension on that front spring!