PDA

View Full Version : w202/eaton m62 clutch removal

thedose
06-17-2013, 02:35 PM
I've searched and read many posts on the r170/w202/eaton m62 supercharger, not only on here, but on the internet... there was even a post on benzworld on how to replace the bearing...

I have a 99' w202, with the m111.975 - now, on to my problem: I bought a brand new clutch assembly for my kompressor and want to replace it, I just serviced all of the tensioners, pulleys, and belts and was going to replace the s/c clutch and pulley as part of that, unfortunately, I was unable to get the s/c out, and tried getting the clutch off with the s/c mounted on the engine - was also unsuccessful as in all of my attempts, the clutch would just spin, I tried using the old serpentine belt to hold it (as recommended by the Bentley manual), tried vice grips, no luck.

My question to you: how/what's the best way of removing the clutch assembly? DO i have to remove the s/c - is this easier? Would I need something to put between the rotors in the back to stop the clutch/rotors from rotating when I attempt to unscrew the 8mm bolt on the front of the "unidamp" clutch?

Please advise!

John Jones Jr.
06-18-2013, 12:15 AM
Sorry can't help you as of yet I've not needed to remove my one. I did also look on other sites re the M62 & one site there is a guy called Subby who's got a highly modified R170 and it looks like he changed the S/c pulley when the S/c was out of the car, while porting it. But I don't see any need to do that just to change the pulley.

Hopefully, somebody will be along that's already done it. Stay tuned.

thedose
06-18-2013, 08:53 AM
Thanks for the positive post, John.

I've actually had the most help/response from the r170 section of benzworld than any other forum, and that is just ridiculous.... the w202 section of benzworld, 80 views and not 1 post! :(

Do w202 owners just tend to accept that stupid rattle caused by the s/c pulley/assembly bearing going out instead of trying to tackle it?

John Jones Jr.
06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
From what I've seen on Benzworld there's not that much interest in W202's. Now if you had an AMG or some sort, you'd get a better response. In fairness it's not just Benzworld either or other Merc clubs. When I had BMW's (2002, E21 & E34) nobody was really that interested in assisting, simply because they were non 'M's or not a current model. Life, as they say.

But do check out that guy Subby with highly modded R170 (an Auzzie, I think), seems to know his stuff and would be worth a pm.

John Jones Jr.
06-18-2013, 01:03 PM
Double post.

SLAMMED_C
06-18-2013, 08:23 PM
If memory serves me well! I believe the clutch comes off as follows;

Remove the poly belt on the supercharger side,
Remove the 10mm bolt on the end of the clutch plate, be careful when removing the clutch plate as there are a few small thin metal shims behind it. I think the new clutch kit comes with new shims. You will use these shims to set the gap on the clutch.

Once that clutch plate is off and the shims are accounted for, there is a circlip on the end holding the pulley on, after the circlip is removed and the pulley is removed, you will have 3 or 4 five (5)mm hex/Allen key bolts holding the electromagnet to the front of the charger. Unplug the electromagnet and remove it from the charger.

When reinstalling, you will need to set the clutch gap, you will need feeler gauges and those shims. You will need to put 12v to the clutch to engage it and check the gap. It will require removing that front clutch plate by removing and installing the 10mm bolt, and swapping out those shims until the required gap is set. I'm not 100% sure, but for some reason 0.025"-0.035" sticks in my mind for the gap.

Hopefully this helps out a bit.

To answer your question about the front bolt, it may be easier to put 12v from a battery to the clutch and leave the belt on, so at least there is some resistance and hopefully that bolt comes out easy, also maybe just try and hold the clutch plate with your hand or channel locks?

John Jones Jr.
06-19-2013, 03:16 AM
Good man Slammed.

thedose
06-19-2013, 06:15 AM
Tried using my hand, the serp belt, channel locks, and vice grips to no avail. The 8mm bolt is on there TIGHT - I suspect it has never been taken off, and my car has 152k miles!

Going to try adding 12v to the s/c and see if that works.

Thanks for all of your responses!

Abbaso
06-19-2013, 11:53 AM
Good luck.

vaspen
06-20-2013, 06:51 PM
like some pullys you need to use a air gun that has power behind it while its being restrained is sometimes the only way

vaspen
06-20-2013, 06:53 PM
sorry I meant the air guns you would use to take off rims . half inch speck with a 1/4 inch adapter big mamba-jammas :)

SLAMMED_C
06-21-2013, 07:26 AM
I'm guessing you got it off!?

thedose
06-21-2013, 12:47 PM
Not yet.

I know what to do though, and hopefully it works...

I'm assembling all of the required materials first

John Jones Jr.
06-21-2013, 01:02 PM
If you can take a few photo's of removal & refitting when the time comes, that would be great.

thedose
06-22-2013, 02:37 PM
I was thinking about that...

I'm not taking off the s/c as it is pointless and a pita. But I am replacing the clutch assembly, so I guess I could do a quick DIY on that?

John Jones Jr.
06-22-2013, 03:05 PM
Yeah, please do. No need to remove the S/c and from the looks of it, it seems straight forward enough to remove, if a bit time consuming.