PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of stancing/hellaflushing my 202.....

vixen_w202
07-09-2013, 03:18 PM
I've had a lot of fun with the handling of my car in canyons, but honestly my car is used 99 percent of the time as a daily driver. I've fallen out of love with driving illegally fast on public roads and now all I do is just daily drive my car.

I kinda want to drop the suspension even more and go for more of a stanceworks/hellaflush look.

Switching it over to a slammed look since I honestly just cruise in it seems kinda fun. I'll lose functionality, but I really don't give a shit. Maybe not the most practical but I don't care.

The plan was to ditch the jacked up look in the back, cut the springs by a shop and take out a coil or two, probably leave the springs in the front alone because it's pretty low there. I just want to make the drop level instead of higher in the back and lower in the front.

I'd keep my summer tires in case I wanna go back and do a nice clean-looking stretched tire so the lip sticks out a little. Maybe an all season tire perhaps?

EDIT: Talked to a bimmer friend, he says I can keep my current tires and to do this all we'd have to do is get some spacers and massage the fenders some. I think I will do this, but I am unsure what spacers to get front and rear without going too undriveable.

I'm already halfway there, so it doesn't seem too outrageous to do.

vixen_w202
07-09-2013, 09:24 PM
Experimenting if my black wheels look better plastidip white. Stay tuned....

subliminal-
09-02-2013, 05:56 PM
From personal experience I can say, if messing with springs to go lower get a set of Billy Sports.
Day and night drivability.

joshwwahhh
09-13-2013, 01:31 PM
@subliminal i believe he is on h&r coilovers
@vixen you can't adjust the coilovers to the lowest setting?

w202Meister
10-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Hello w202 fam, I'm new here but have owned a 99 c32 for 3 years now. I've just recently started driving it more and have done some minor DIY mods to it. Plastic dip wheels, grille and emblems. My wheels are larger series in the front to level out the ride height (205 65 r15) with rear (205 60 r15) ride quality has increased due to larger series tire in front so it feels nice on the hwy however, I want to lower it a bit for cornering, braking and overall stability. I'm wondering what's the best springs of cool overs to go with? I also plan on swapping out the stock rims for bbs replicas or brabus oems. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Somalia757
11-15-2013, 11:25 AM
W202 miester lol at thread jacking and welcome.

To the OP DONT cut the springs, buy new springs or coil overs.
1. Its a Benz new or old its a Benz
2. Its not worth it to cut the springs, do it right the first time.
Its going to ride like crap w/ cut springs.

c230
11-20-2013, 12:25 PM
To the OP DONT cut the springs, buy new springs or coil overs.

1. Coil overs don't exist for the w202.
2. There's nothing wrong with cutting aftermarket springs like H&Rs, I run on them all day, everyday.
3. It's not going to ride like crap, Mercedes springs aren't like Acuras. It's almost going to feel like riding on oem springs.

The only suggestion is to remove the spring pads first, pre-load the suspension, and see how much you need to cut. Also, when cutting springs do it with an air grinder and keep spraying water on the spring while cutting. You never want to heat up the metal too much.

Somalia757
11-20-2013, 12:37 PM
1. Coil overs don't exist for the w202.
2. There's nothing wrong with cutting aftermarket springs like H&Rs, I run on them all day, everyday.
3. It's not going to ride like crap, Mercedes springs aren't like Acuras. It's almost going to feel like riding on oem springs.

The only suggestion is to remove the spring pads first, pre-load the suspension, and see how much you need to cut. Also, when cutting springs do it with an air grinder and keep spraying water on the spring while cutting. You never want to heat up the metal too much.

Good intel, I thought he was refering to oem springs.
I have been looking for suspension and swore I saw coil overs, obviously not the ones like hondas all one unit.
Thought i saw a perch and spring one though thats adjustable.
Maybe it was wrong idk im new to the 202 so ill listen more!

c230
11-20-2013, 01:12 PM
I believe he has H&Rs, which out of the box are way too stiff in my opinion. OEM springs have a different spring rate, but can safely be cut 1-1.5 turns before it's too soft. Also, you have to combine the springs with the right shocks. I've seen all those suspensions you're talking about, I've tried to come up with solutions but all require custom fabrication and reinforcement of the shock towers.

I honestly think air bags are easier to install than coil overs. I'm planning on doing 18x9s and 18x10s but I need to find a way to limit the travel of the suspension.

They do make an airbag setup but it's in europe.

http://www.airride-system.pl/okucia-aluminiowe-z-poduszkami-mercedes-190-210-p-234.html