PDA

View Full Version : c280 Sport will not turn over

ckcjam
07-20-2013, 09:11 AM
I left the sunroof open and we had a quick but heavy shower. When i put the key in the ignition, hear the click. I then press the brake and turn the key which turns to the start position. Engine does not turn over. I spoke with the previous owner and he had the same problem and a solenoid or switch beside the gear controller was the problem. The mechanic removed / cleaned then replaced the part and its started since - I have removed the exterior of the console and have access to the part, i think. Does anyone have any experience removing, cleaning and/or replacing this part? Oh, the if i turn the key to the running position I can't move the car out of part - the steering wheel is not locked. I was able to wiggle the gear shifter and move to neutral once but can't now. Any and all help much appreciated.

Vetruck
07-21-2013, 01:38 PM
SInce no one else is chimming in tho help, Ill do my best to try and help with what knowledge I have on other vehicles (non-Mercedes) that I have had an issue like this with.

I hadve seen many Gm vehciles with a bad neutral safety switch in the center console. If a car is not in park or neutral, the switch will not engage and thus the car will not crank. If the switch goes bad then it will not start either regardless of it being in park.

If it is an electrical switch then cleaning will not help. Better off replacing the unit.

hope that info helps.

RemoLexi
07-21-2013, 04:22 PM
What year ?

If the shifter module is flooded it won't speak to the other CAN modules in the same language as its gone bizirk.