PDA

View Full Version : Another ghost in the machine. Driver's window now intermittent.

imautoparts
07-25-2013, 10:46 AM
The other day my wife slammed the trunk lid extra hard and I noticed right away that my driver's window would not work. I started checking fuses, and when I got to number 7 under the hood the fuse was fine, but when reinstalled the windows work fine.

Now every time I get in the car I have to pull number 7 and reinsert it to get the driver's window to work. Ideas?

imautoparts
08-07-2013, 07:51 AM
Well, I did a full system reset by pulling the positive battery cable, and then went around and reminded each window (as is always necessary) of full-up and full-down. You also have to reset the sunroof by pushing it in the vent position till you hear a soft click.

So far the problem has not reappeared.

imautoparts
08-20-2013, 06:34 PM
I'm bumping this thread as I've found three other people on other forums with identical problems. Intermittent windows that can be reset by pulling the negative battery cable for 30 seconds.

Also I'm still looking for help locating my seat relay-comfort/convenience module in my 1999 USA spec C280. The dealership has confirmed that this relay is on my car using the parts system, but a thorough search of the entire passenger and trunk compartments of the car have not located the relay on my car.

Anybody have any ideas?

wizofwall
09-03-2013, 03:48 AM
Hello guys,
I am pulling my hair for months now with the window problem.
I cannot find the comfort module anywhere.
I already changed all the window modules, thinking they maybe faulty.
I changed all the window motors.
Still, same problem.
I am tired of unplugging the battery.
I ripped the car open, looking for the comfort module and can´t find it.
My electric guy says it all started because I put wind deflectors on the front windows that are set ¨in-channel¨ not the ones with clip, and because of the sensor that prevents the windows from closing when it feels resistance (i.e. a kids arm) when closing the windows, it caused the modules to short.
I don´t know what to do any more....I stripped the trunk/boot, back seats, back flooring, front flooring, pillars, etc...
Any ideas?
This is for a 1999 c220 cdi W202.13.
I have seen other 202s on the junk yards and found the comfort module by the battery, but mine must be somewhere else, if at all.
I bought the car from my dad and he told me the car was one of the last 202s...he bought it just when they were gonna update the C class and there were several updates over the 10+ years it was produced...
It is a Elegance with sport suspension and wheels, so it looks like a Sport but with some more gadgets...
Thank you in advanced for any help

imautoparts
09-03-2013, 06:48 PM
It is very frustrating to be unable to locate something as basic as a relay. It boggles the mind that Mercedes-Benz does not maintain better records of where components are located on their cars.

RemoLexi
09-06-2013, 01:52 PM
Your car may not have that module at all, as these cars get updated often times they integrate the fuctions of a conv. Module into other parts like the dome light, window switch pack ect and have them communicate on a network.

Older 202's had everything hardwired without any signal networks so everything traced back to a raley, fuse ect that was powered by a seperate signal (from ignition switch for example).

I really think your window switch pack is going bad. Unfortunatly for you threw random parts to fix in issue, in the end costs 10x more!

wizofwall
09-18-2013, 03:36 AM
Your car may not have that module at all, as these cars get updated often times they integrate the fuctions of a conv. Module into other parts like the dome light, window switch pack ect and have them communicate on a network.

Older 202's had everything hardwired without any signal networks so everything traced back to a raley, fuse ect that was powered by a seperate signal (from ignition switch for example).

I really think your window switch pack is going bad. Unfortunatly for you threw random parts to fix in issue, in the end costs 10x more!

Indeed. However, I am sure it has one.
The other day the trunk release didn´t work while the window was stuck, that is why I am inclined to believe that the module for the window (power window and sunroof) ends up in a comfort module...that problem only happens when the windows are giving me problems...

imautoparts
09-18-2013, 05:12 AM
Indeed. However, I am sure it has one.
The other day the trunk release didn´t work while the window was stuck, that is why I am inclined to believe that the module for the window (power window and sunroof) ends up in a comfort module...that problem only happens when the windows are giving me problems...

That's scary - as if you were unable to access the trunk how would you do a full system reset? I've never tried my key without having the battery connected at all, I wonder if it will still operate the trunk latch manually?

You say that you are unable to locate the silver control box for the windows etc? I've seen pictures before, it looks like an ECM module rather than a relay, and if I recall is hidden behind the battery on the right side of it. Is that the box you can't locate on your car?

In my case the commonly replaced small relay for the seats is nowhere to be found, but I haven't tried to locate the big module unit as nothing has led me to suspect it is the cause of my troubles. I'm pretty sure that a dealership or well-equipped shop has a CAN-BUS communications diagnosis capability, so if my windows were driving me crazy (mine are pretty reliable as long as I drive the car frequently), I would take the car in and bite the bullet on trying to learn the specific component that is taking the system down.

As I've said before, the right rear window motor/controller seems to be the one most often at fault, but nobody can explain why to my satisfaction. Please keep updating this thread, especially if your research discovers the alternate location for the window module or the comfort/convenience relay.

runinscerd
10-13-2013, 10:58 AM
open the trunk and take out the the board that covers the spare tire and you will see another flat board in front of that one with about four plastic screws look under that board and you will find what you are looking for.

Tmac928
10-24-2013, 10:24 AM
open the trunk and take out the the board that covers the spare tire and you will see another flat board in front of that one with about four plastic screws look under that board and you will find what you are looking for.

Yes, there are a lot of components in there. Can you be more specific as to which one it is, as it relates to this issue ?
I have a 2000 C230K. My car does not have the comfort controller that everyone seems to have next to the battery.
Thank you

Pagz
10-24-2013, 02:46 PM
My 99 C43 and 98 C230K do this, usually happens randomly after I have been working on the car with battery disconnected and reconnected for various lengths of time,as stated disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds and reconnecting fix's mine until I play with the car again. If it isnt consistantly happening after resets I would tend to leave it alone for cost purposes.

@imautoparts - you can access the trunk mechanically,slide out the key from you transponder key.