PDA

View Full Version : Really Can't Figure Out Which ATF Fluid To Use!!

KingDEL23
08-03-2013, 10:51 AM
Hey guys,

I want to do the pan drop and filter change, but I have been going back and forth on which fluid to use. Our transmissions were filled from the factory with the 236.10 fluid that has now been discontinued or impossible to find, and currently replaced by the 236.14 fluid that is backwards compatible to replace the discontinued 236.10 fluid. Originally, I was sold on using the Mercedes-Benz approved Fuchs Titan 4134 fluid, but then I heard numerous Mercedes owners who did their first fluid change with higher mileage 722.6 transmissions that used this fluid in their pan drop and filter change reported rougher shifting then before! After more research, I found that Valvoline Maxlife Fully Synthetic ATF (says NAG-1, or New Automatic Gearbox on the back label) was used by many users and reported smoother shifting when compared to the new 236.14 fluid over thousands and thousands of miles. Now I know Mercedes-Benz is clearly not a oil producing company so from what I understand they have a set few company's that have they have given the approval code to produce fluids for them and seemingly what we are getting at the dealer is just re-labeled by MB. I think my biggest concern is mixing the 236.10 fluid and the new 236.14 fluid together since my 2000 does not have the torque converter drain bolt thus I cannot fully flush the system. What have you guys used as far as fluid is concerned? Please let me know!

imautoparts
08-07-2013, 07:49 AM
I was in the same predicament and got in touch with Autohaus of Arizona. I saved about $6 a quart vs the dealer, and they know exactly what fluid goes in each model.