PDA

View Full Version : Dry Bushing?

98Benzo
08-22-2013, 08:02 PM
So for the last week I have been hearing an annoying loud squeaking noise coming from my drivers side rear. So after work today I stopped by my mechanics shop so he could see quick. When pushing up and down on the trunk you can hear a squeaking noise. He crawled underneath as I did this and says it looks to be a "Dry Bushing". He says it'll have to be greased up for it to go away. Does this sound correct? If so how do I go about greasing the bushing? I'd like to do it myself to save myself the money at the shop.

Vetruck
08-22-2013, 08:22 PM
Just spray WD-40 all over each bushing and have someone bounce the car up and down as you spray each one. Find out which it is when the noise goes away. Then just simply spray the crap out of it more and drive the car a few days to see if it returns. If it returns then you will need to get a greese gun if it has a zerk fitting- if no zerk fitting them you'll have to dismantle it and rub moly lube all over it.

Jims202
08-25-2013, 08:14 AM
Not saying that wd-40 won't work,but it will swell the bushing and destroy it quicker than normal. Personally if they haven't been replaced,just replace your bushing.

Vetruck
08-30-2013, 04:27 PM
Not saying that wd-40 won't work,but it will swell the bushing and destroy it quicker than normal. Personally if they haven't been replaced,just replace your bushing.

You should read product manufacturers description of a product before you give wrong advice

What surfaces or materials are OK to use WD-40 Multi-Use Product on?

WD-40 Multi-Use Product can be used on just about everything. It is safe to use on metal, rubber, wood and plastic. It can also be applied to painted metal surfaces without harming the paint. Polycarbonate and clear polystyrene plastic are among the few surfaces on which to avoid using a petroleum-based product like WD-40 Multi-Use Product

Jims202
08-30-2013, 04:45 PM
I am a technician and I have seen what lubricants can do to bushings and other rubber components as well. Was just telling my opinion just as everyone else on this forum does. So I would appreciate it if you wouldn't tell me that I'm giving wrong advise. Thank you.

Vetruck
08-31-2013, 07:48 AM
I am a technician and I have seen what lubricants can do to bushings and other rubber components as well. Was just telling my opinion just as everyone else on this forum does. So I would appreciate it if you wouldn't tell me that I'm giving wrong advise. Thank you.So you are still going to argue and opinion against WD-40's website quote? right

Jims202
08-31-2013, 08:36 AM
I absolutely would, they say anything to sell a product.

anf6789
08-31-2013, 09:20 AM
i love this stuff... Boeshield T-9... i put that shit on everything.. is it relevant to the convo.. who knows.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=boeshield&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboeshield.com%2F&ei=bSUiUqyDDcupsQTPzICoAg&usg=AFQjCNGygeZTax1Eual9CvrdVWuW4ruykQ&bvm=bv.51495398,d.cWc

John Jones Jr.
08-31-2013, 09:38 AM
i love this stuff... Boeshield T-9... i put that shit on everything.. is it relevant to the convo.. who knows.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=boeshield&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CE4QFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fboeshield.com%2F&ei=bSUiUqyDDcupsQTPzICoAg&usg=AFQjCNGygeZTax1Eual9CvrdVWuW4ruykQ&bvm=bv.51495398,d.cWc

Afn, never seen it here in Europe, is it much better than the likes of WD40 etc?

anf6789
08-31-2013, 11:16 AM
john, they use it on airplanes. its different than wd40 in that it forms a thin long lasting barrier. its not cheap so i use wd40 for some things. it works well on metal to metal.

John Jones Jr.
08-31-2013, 12:35 PM
Anf, yeah I realize it'a Boeing product, what sort of money are you talking about for a can?

P.s. That reminds was you car sorted out correctly and if so how's it going? I don't want to high jack this thread so maybe you can point me to an update thread on your car.

98Benzo
08-31-2013, 07:03 PM
I just ended up replacing the bushing to a polyurethane bushing. Car is squeaky free :D I figured I`d just replace it seeing as it is a 15 year old bushing lol

kowalski
08-31-2013, 10:06 PM
I just ended up replacing the bushing to a polyurethane bushing. Car is squeaky free :D I figured I`d just replace it seeing as it is a 15 year old bushing lol

can you post pictures of this bad dry bushing?
where is it located on rear axle?

where did you get the poly replacement bushings?
who sells them?
please post the link

Sulaco
09-01-2013, 04:33 AM
I absolutely would, they say anything to sell a product.
How about white lithium grease?

W202FTW
09-01-2013, 11:32 AM
+1 for replacing a bushing when it's worn.

I suppose if a drive belt wears out, would you spray WD-40 just so the noise goes away?

Vetruck
09-01-2013, 04:09 PM
I really do not think alot of people responding here fuly read my entire quote. The WD-40 was to locate which bushing was sqeaking and see if the noise comes right back.

here- read again:
Just spray WD-40 all over each bushing and have someone bounce the car up and down as you spray each one. Find out which it is when the noise goes away. Then just simply spray the crap out of it more and drive the car a few days to see if it returns. If it returns then you will need to get a greese gun if it has a zerk fitting- if no zerk fitting them you'll have to dismantle it and rub moly lube all over it.

98Benzo
09-08-2013, 07:19 PM
I don't have pictures and my mechanic chucked the old bushing in the garbage and I got the bushing from a local supplier here in Toronto, Canada called Auto Parts Depot.

kowalski
09-08-2013, 10:08 PM
I don't have pictures and my mechanic chucked the old bushing in the garbage and I got the bushing from a local supplier here in Toronto, Canada called Auto Parts Depot.

is it this one, located on rear hubs, called squeek bushing
http://www.ebay.de/itm/Lemforder-Traggelenk-Fuhrungsgelenk-hinten-Mercedes-W202-W203-Quitschbuchse-/310381939212?pt=DE_Autoteile&fits=Platform%3AW202&hash=item4844348a0c

vaspen
09-11-2013, 03:45 PM
I wouldn't hurt to show off that new bushing ;) :P
just to give a better example of what and where it is, for the ppl who don't know where or what it is lol (and I have changed and greased em )