PDA

View Full Version : Warped hub? Rotor? Wheel carrier assembly? Mysterious wobble and squeak!

Sulaco
09-01-2013, 09:31 PM
Got the C43 back from the body shop. Long story short I'm doing some of the final repairs myself.

The rear wheel is having issues.

Remember, this side of the car was launched a good 6 feet in the air and came down hard.

After driving a few minutes, I start to hear a squeak from rear wheel that is relative to the spinning of the wheel. After a few more minutes it turns into a squeal and a sort of scrape sound. When I slow down to a crawl I can feel the whole car wobble with it a TINY bit, and I can see a tiny amount of wheel wobble in my rear view mirror.

Get underneath it, can't see a damn thing wrong except a shredded lower control arm bushing that looks like it has been that way for a couple years.

Get wheel in the air. I suspect wheel bearing. I yank on the wheel from front to back, side to side, trying to find some play in it. No play. Won't budge at all.

Start car, put in gear, left off brake so the wheel just turns in the air: slight wobble and squeak come back. Can't see anything even close to rubbing or scraping anywhere.

Pull wheel off, let rotor and hub spin without wheel. Problem persists. I can see the rotor faintly contacting the brake pads as it wobbles back and forth.

Could the impact have warped the entire rotor to a point that it not only wobbles the brakes but the wheel too? I find that unlikely. Is it more likely that it warped the entire wheel carrier assembly and/or hub and that's what's causing it? I'm desperately out of theories. Would it be of any use to swap rotors on the back and see if the problem carries to the other side too?

Vetruck
09-02-2013, 08:13 AM
You've bent the enitre drive flange/hub that the wheel, and rotor attach to. As the half shft enters it, it rides on the hub bearing assembly inside the knuckle. Here is a new knuckle so you can see what part houses the wheel bearing, but it is most likely the bearing AND a bent drive flange.
http://compare.ebay.com/like/290607364637?_lwgsi=y&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar

Here is a full used assembly on ebay for $60

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Benz-W202-C-Class-rear-wheel-spindle-hub-OEM-/320850345974?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab42bbff6&vxp=mtr

Sulaco
09-02-2013, 08:26 AM
Hmm. How big of a diy is this? Do I need a hydraulic press? Or is the bearing already inside the assembly making it just a r & r?

Vetruck
09-02-2013, 09:01 AM
Hmm. How big of a diy is this? Do I need a hydraulic press? Or is the bearing already inside the assembly making it just a r & r?

I have never had one apart on these cars so I can not tell you that info yet. I have done a few other cars that require press fitting and would assume this is the same. I would buy an assembly already toghether would be my suggestion (but that is just my opinion based on the lack of knowledge I listed) That is why I linked the used part on ebay becasue for $60 it is an inexpensive enough method to get it swapped out and running- they list a 90 day gaurantee if I recall on the ad.

edit to add- I am a suspension guru and I would consider just swapping the ebay part into it a full day job in a private garage. Maybe at quickest about 3 hours from driving in to driving out if you have the right tools and equipment- but that is hauling ass with airtools also. I have all of that but I would still consider it taking me twice that time because things never go as planned. Anticipate it being an all day job.