PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Problem

97C28O
09-02-2013, 12:09 PM
Been having this problem quite frequently now.

Issues:
-Shifting into Park, sometimes will not allow me to take the key out. I have to start the car again and shift out and back into Park.
-Shifting to Drive, sometimes it will not "snap" into the Drive slot. It would get "stuck" between Neutral and Drive and when you try to move it will be in Neutral gear... (the lights will not be lit for Drive or Neutral). I have to shift through the gears in order to get the "click/pop" into gear..

I have replaced the bushings under the car recently. I have done the "reset".

I'm not sure if this is a symptom of bad Transmission or just the Shifter Assembly?

http://youtu.be/KZbpB-V9p1Y

EDIT 9/13/13
This past week I've been driving the car a lot lately and almost everyday something will happen.

It will shift like the video I posted, stuck between N - D but it is actually in Drive, car jerks forward. I can rev it up but will not move except a STEADY roll. Rolling it far enough the car started to make a rapid CLICKING NOISE! with a LOUD BANG - Jerk fowards. I immediately stopped put it in PARK, try to take out the key and it will not let me (car is OFF) I will have to shift up and down couple times before it will get into PARK and allow me to take out the key!!

Also while that happens, CAR OFF, in PARK, it will not start the car, it would crank but stop immediately, Shifting up and down couple times will let me start the car once it is "proper gear"

RemoLexi
09-03-2013, 12:02 PM
Could be debris in the shifter assembly but really sounds like the shifter bushings are gone. They always deteriorate and completly fall out, causing the shift rod to make some metal clinging noise.

I know you said you did bushings underneath the car, not sure which ones you speak of!

97C28O
09-03-2013, 12:25 PM
Could be debris in the shifter assembly but really sounds like the shifter bushings are gone. They always deteriorate and completly fall out, causing the shift rod to make some metal clinging noise.

I know you said you did bushings underneath the car, not sure which ones you speak of!

I know there are two under and I had one completely gone I believe right under the shifter area. it used to rattle until I put the new one in. the other bushing was in a really tight spot, towards the front of the car and I was able to see there was a bushing still intact.

how would I go about cleaning the debris out of the shifter?

Sulaco
09-03-2013, 12:42 PM
Absolutely 100% positive it's the 2 shifter bushings.

Had this on my original w202, my w123, and my w124.

They're like 50 cents each and kind of a bitch to replace. One is on the other end of the shifter, the other is attached to the rod coming out of the transmission gear selector. Just crawl under there and look at the transmission linkage. You'll see where the 2 should go.

I only replaced one of them on all 3 of my cars (the one attached to the shifter) because it was easiest to reach. That solved the problem well enough and eliminated exactly 50% of the play in the shifter, which was more than enough to solve it. I don't mind having a little play in my shifter as long as it goes into and stays in the right gear!

97C28O
09-13-2013, 11:41 PM
I haven't went under the car yet, but I will soon for an Oil Change so I'll take a look at the bushings again... But part of me does not think it is..

This past week I've been driving the car a lot lately and almost everyday something will happen.

It will shift like the video I posted, stuck between N - D but it is actually in Drive, car jerks forward. I can rev it up but will not move except a STEADY roll. Rolling it far enough the car started to make a rapid CLICKING NOISE! with a LOUD BANG - Jerk fowards. I immediately stopped put it in PARK, try to take out the key and it will not let me (car is OFF) I will have to shift up and down couple times before it will get into PARK and allow me to take out the key!!

Also while that happens, CAR OFF, in PARK, it will not start the car, it would crank but stop immediately, Shifting up and down couple times will let me start the car once it is "proper gear"

http://youtu.be/KZbpB-V9p1Y

kowalski
09-14-2013, 02:07 AM
how many X of these bushings are there for transmission?
do they dry out after 10-15 years of shifting?

what's their partsnumbers?
are they all the same size?