PDA

View Full Version : Transmission makes noise at stoplights

anf6789
09-12-2013, 05:44 PM
My 97 C36 5spd Auto Trans makes noise at stoplights. (sounds like its coming from that general area.) sounds like cicada bugs (whine/chirp) thats semi loud and bounces off other cars. It goes a way with any throttle input, or if I shift the car into neutral or park. When I did my headgasket I had the radiator out along with the trans fluid inside so I thought maybe it needed some more trans fluid, so put about 1/4 quart in there, which kinda changed the tone of the noise a bit. Maybe I'll ad some more.. No drivability/shifting issues.

Any ideas. Im almost positive its coming from the trans/torque converter., as its loudest in that area.

I feel like an idiot at stoplights!!!

TurboIS_DJ
09-12-2013, 06:00 PM
How does the fluid look? Has it ever been changed?
Have you purchased a dipstick yet to check the fluid level?

I would start with a full fluid flush along with changing the trans filter and pan gasket if you haven't done that already.

anf6789
09-17-2013, 11:15 AM
Turns out wasn't the trans exhaust down pipes where slightly loose and rattling!

imautoparts
09-18-2013, 06:25 PM
Good to know. I had an identical problem that turned out to be my blower motor losing speed when the car was stopped. It drove me mad with worry till I figured it out.