PDA

View Full Version : JR filter vs BMC filter 230K

Abbaso
09-18-2013, 08:24 AM
HI guys looking at installing a ' performance' filter in the oem air box.
The local shops have the above mentioned filters in stock. JR is relatively new in SA or should I say not as popular as BMC and KnN.
Would like to hear your suggestions on this. Yes I've heard about the oil contaminating the maf. Is it worth doing to the install on the 230K
Thanks

KrumB
09-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Hi Abbaso,

In general the OEM airboxes are designed in such a way that there is no difference if there's a filter or no filter at all in terms of air restriction.
If you'd like to upgrade. You should find a way to design a new airbox with a performance filter and a cold air intake.

Cheers :)

Abbaso
09-19-2013, 06:51 AM
Hi Abbaso,

In general the OEM airboxes are designed in such a way that there is no difference if there's a filter or no filter at all in terms of air restriction.
If you'd like to upgrade. You should find a way to design a new airbox with a performance filter and a cold air intake.

Cheers :)

Thanks for your reply K-B. I'm trying to keep it as oem as possible reason being traffic cops can be a pain if they wanted to so don't want give them a reason. Mate of mine had he's vehicle license taken away cos of a cone filter and had to retest car for road worthiness again. Unless I can modify the existing box. JJR gave me an idea of drilling the box but just two 50mm holes instead of the usual airbox drilling.

John Jones Jr.
09-19-2013, 07:18 AM
[QUOTE=Abbaso;183962 JJR gave me an idea of drilling the box but just two 50mm holes instead of the usual airbox drilling.[/QUOTE]

Don't forget 45 or 50mm holes fitted with bellmouths, rather than just large holes. Abbas, don't know how much of a difference it will make but it has been tried & tested on a couple of turbo engines where they wanted to keep the original air filter box. If, I hadn't drilled 14 x 13mm holes in my box I'd have gone with the larger holes & bellmouths - anyway it's cheap with nothing to lose.

KrumB
09-19-2013, 08:47 AM
Don't forget the cold air! As hot air in our intake/kompressor is a power killer!!!! :) :)

John Jones Jr.
09-19-2013, 09:14 AM
Krum, of course you are totally correct. What about drilling/opening up the small panel/trim piece that's mounted below the head lamp, maybe fitting some wire mesh behind. Then the you'd have a cold air feed directly from outside running under the head lamp to the lower part of the air box. A waste of time doing it?

KrumB
09-19-2013, 09:57 AM
It would not be that much efficient by my openion. It would be probably better if you drill a 50-70 mm hole in the bottom part of the airbox, through the metal below and fit a piece of pipe to take air from underneath the chassis....just a tought....

John Jones Jr.
09-19-2013, 10:23 AM
Yes you're right, that would make more sense. Should there be any concerns about water being picked up from the road and being sucked into the engine?

KrumB
09-19-2013, 10:44 AM
That's highly unlikely since there's plate under the engine but we need to have a look.....

Abbaso
09-19-2013, 10:52 AM
Yes you're right, that would make more sense. Should there be any concerns about water being picked up from the road and being sucked into the engine?

I was thinking of drilling the underneath of the air box and running a pipe from the little small vent on the bumper feeding cold air directly to the airbox. ..

John Jones Jr.
09-19-2013, 11:26 AM
Oh, I misunderstood I reckoned you meant taking a feed from the wheel area.

KrumB
09-19-2013, 12:01 PM
There's an empty space between the engine bay and the wheel area that's not connected with neither of them if I'm not mistaken.

John Jones Jr.
09-19-2013, 02:27 PM
Abbas, that should do too - Ram Air! :cool:

John Jones Jr.
09-19-2013, 02:29 PM
There's an empty space between the engine bay and the wheel area that's not connected with neither of them if I'm not mistaken.

Must have a good look as I haven't given this extra air feed much consideration until Abbas asked me about the K&N.