PDA

View Full Version : Is it crazy to try and replace a water pump myself?

mbsickness
09-29-2013, 10:23 PM
Upon inspecting the reason my car had been running hot when running the AC (Blown relay fuse was the culprit), I discovered the water pump pulley has more play in it than I would like. Add to this a belt tensioner which has seen better days. Over the last year I have collected all the parts needed for the job and of course procrastination kicked in. The car is a 1994 C280 with the M104 motor. In my possession is a new water pump, tensioning rod, serpentine belt and tensioner. I have read online that the waterpump is 6 hour booktime job. Although space is tight it seems that if I can get the four bolts out the pump should lift out of the car. What am I missing? Just for reference in my younger days I have replaced the serpentine belt in a M103 motor in a 190E and that wasn't fun from what I can remember. I also have multiple 944 timing belts under my belt.....so I guess the question to those who have tacked this job....how bad is it and is 6 hours booktime seem right?

Thanks.

Sulaco
09-30-2013, 10:51 AM
Have to remove pulley on power steering pump, as well.

Also remove fan shroud, fan blade, and perhaps clutch fan itself.

I highly recommend removing radiator too (since it's already drained for this job). Will give you MUCH needed space.

This job was my first DIY on my 1994 C280. I did it with zero DIY experience when I was 20 yrs old back in 2002-2003.

Abbaso
09-30-2013, 01:00 PM
Upon inspecting the reason my car had been running hot when running the AC (Blown relay fuse was the culprit), I discovered the water pump pulley has more play in it than I would like. Add to this a belt tensioner which has seen better days. Over the last year I have collected all the parts needed for the job and of course procrastination kicked in. The car is a 1994 C280 with the M104 motor. In my possession is a new water pump, tensioning rod, serpentine belt and tensioner. I have read online that the waterpump is 6 hour booktime job. Although space is tight it seems that if I can get the four bolts out the pump should lift out of the car. What am I missing? Just for reference in my younger days I have replaced the serpentine belt in a M103 motor in a 190E and that wasn't fun from what I can remember. I also have multiple 944 timing belts under my belt.....so I guess the question to those who have tacked this job....how bad is it and is 6 hours booktime seem right?

Thanks.

If you've done a cam belt job like you said it should be a breeze. So no not crazy..

mbsickness
09-30-2013, 10:05 PM
Thanks for the replies. I guess I just have one item to pick up before tearing into this project....The plastic pointer that goes on the tensioner. Anyone know the part number or is this a dealer only item?

HoodStar
10-01-2013, 04:14 PM
Maybe throw in new hoses and thermostat while it's all apart?