PDA

View Full Version : First things to do to a W202 when you don't know the history?

coldkompress
10-04-2013, 09:12 AM
Hello all!

I just purchased a 99 c230 kompressor with 105k miles. I don't know the history of it at all, it runs fine except from a cold start the tach fluctuates. The code says an evap system leak. What are the recommended maintenance areas before I turn this into my daily driver? From my lurking I'm guessing the mass airflow sensor and the computer brain replacement with something that doesn't say "Lucas" on it. My last Benz was a '79 240D, very easy to work on with basic electronics, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the everything-electronic and actuated w202.

Also, water seems to pool on the bottom lip of the door frames, which could be the culprit for the excessive rust on the bottom of the doors. Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance!

ryan

W202FTW
10-06-2013, 05:29 PM
Hello all!

I just purchased a 99 c230 kompressor with 105k miles. I don't know the history of it at all, it runs fine except from a cold start the tach fluctuates. The code says an evap system leak. What are the recommended maintenance areas before I turn this into my daily driver? From my lurking I'm guessing the mass airflow sensor and the computer brain replacement with something that doesn't say "Lucas" on it. My last Benz was a '79 240D, very easy to work on with basic electronics, and I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed with the everything-electronic and actuated w202.

Also, water seems to pool on the bottom lip of the door frames, which could be the culprit for the excessive rust on the bottom of the doors. Any workarounds?

Thanks in advance!

ryan

Check the entire transmission and the ATF cooler lines for leaks (also check the ATF spacer plug for leaks, and for fluid traveling up the connector line to the TCU). Drop the pan (might as well do a filter and flush exchange while down there) and add a magnet to the pan collect graphite material.

Check coolant. I recommend flushing if the coolant doesn't look like MB approved fluid.

Check both drive belts, replace if necessary (if you get the belts off, it's always a good idea to check all the pullies for play).

Engine and cabin air filters, replace if necessary.

Check power steering fluid, flush if necessary (202s generally don't have steering rack issues, EVER - but the rubber lines will leak and seep fluid).

Check rear differential for leaks. Fluid seepage is usually caused by a failing axle seal. If you don't see any fluid leaks, go ahead and perform a differential flush.

Get battery tested, replace with OEM battery if low on cold crank amps (although Mercedes batteries require maintenance, it's very common to see them last 5+ years even with neglected maintenance).

Excessive rust was caused by MB failing to galvanize the steel panels of the cars.