PDA

View Full Version : just got EB springs, need shock and pad input/advice

c280
02-08-2003, 05:35 PM
i just got a W202 (95 C-280) to replace my 300e which was totaled by a friendly left-turning motorist.

i want to lower the car SLIGHTLY and go with the 16" SPORT wheel made for W202.

i just got a good deal on a set of eibach pro springs from bekkers. ($175 for new with damaged box) :) i want to lower enough to see the difference, but am not after a "slammed" look.

which SHOCKS would you recommend to go with the EB springs?
i guess the usual suspects are: bilsteins, koni, KYB, etc.
i AM leaning toward an "adjustable" shock to be able to tune the ride for performance vs. ride quality.

my criteria is approx: 50% ride quality, 25% improved performance, and 25% appearance.

also, when changing do i need to have several different PADS available to set the overall height? i am going to get a local shop (prob this sites sponsor, Donnie at MB Autotwerks) to do the swap. i have not gotten a sense of if the orig pads USUALLY work, or if they typically need to be changed to get the correct overall ride height.

i have read/followed MANY S&S threads elsewhere, but...
any and all input or advice will be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

thanks, and hope you see the new "lowered" me soon.

- benton in atlanta (PS- sorry for any refs that are wrong in canadian, eh)

SLAMMED_C
02-09-2003, 01:27 PM
Well, I used the Eibach pro kit on my W202, and with lots of pad changing, I eventually went with #1 pad up front and #2 in the rear.
With this set up and my 19" rims, my front tires rub on the fenders at the moment (rolling front fenders soon)
This might be too slammed for your tastes? The car came with a #5 pad...to high, then went to a #3, then setteled on the #1 pad. For u, I would suggest the #3 pad up front, there was about a fingers gap between tire and fender.
For the rear, the car came with a #3 pad, I went to a #2 pad and am thinking of goin to a #1...just waiting till nicer weather so I can see what it looks like with my summer wheels.
I would say a #3 or #4 would be good for what u want. but then again u might have to experiement a bit!!
For shocks...there has been lots of discussions, some people like Bilteins..some people like Koni's, I dont know what is the best...benzes use Bilsteins from factory on the W202's, but with Koni's u can adjust them...with a lot of messing around I'm told.

For ur question about needing many differend pads handy...it depends on if u like how it looks when dumped...if u go with what I've said u might think its a little bit high or u might not, u may want to have some different pads with u to put them in to see what u think..up to u.
And yes the pads do help with the fine adjusting of your ride height, they r also a dampening device between the spring and spring tower... without them it would be very noisey..metal on metal!
Nice choice on wheels, the 16" sport wheels from the C20 sport r very nice, I am using the 16" 6 spokes as my winter rims.
hope this helps u out.

Three Point 6
02-11-2003, 11:46 PM
Ride quality is an illusion/Opinion! Once you get Koni's you will never choose anything else. Do you want a tight handling/riding Benz?Yhea...They may cost $25-$40 more but you know what - They Rule! Bilstein is a factory choice due to bean counter tactics. Factory stuff SUKS! Anyone name a factory car w/ KONI installed? I cant think of any?? Anybody name a car that comes W/ a Vortech or Pro-charger blower?? Ask anyone in SCCA racing what the most common dampner is....KONI. I rest my case. You get what you pay for