PDA

View Full Version : Considering a W202 as my next daily driver... Questions on reliability, etc.

randy@5280wheel
11-03-2003, 03:24 PM
Hi everyone. Your average newb here with questions =)

I'm thinking of getting a W202 to replace my current daily driver, a 1997 Audi A4. The Audi has been a great car and will be replacing my wife's '99 Civic coupe, as it's a safer car with Quattro and 4 doors (we're expecting in december, so 4 doors will be better for the baby seat, etc).

So... I'll be in the market for another car for myself soon, and the W202 is by far my favorite platform within reason of cost, age etc. I'm interested in possibly picking up a C280 or C230... If I can find a clean C36 or C43 in the high teens to low twenties, I'd be interested in those as well, though I'd be just as happy with a non-AMG car if it means a little more reliability and a little less maintenance!

Anyhow... I'd like to get a general consensus of typical known problems or issues with these cars in general- I've learned quite a lot from Christian (kameraguy), though I'd like to know what other people have experienced as well with their cars. I know the auto 5spd transmissions can be fussy, as can electrical issues- Both of which are pretty substantial. Anything else I should be aware of?

Any feedback is appreciated!

Thanks much!

Randy
'97 Audi A4

sf280
11-03-2003, 04:05 PM
Interested in a 99 C280 with 30K miles with Starmark warranty? I am considering selling this since I no longer have my job. It has had some issues but all have been covered by Starmark - and I still have 2 years and 70,000 miles on the warranty, so it would be good for a daily driver. I am just looking to get a car that I can park on the street without worries.

kameraguy
11-03-2003, 04:15 PM
Welcome Randy! Glad you made it :)

btw- have a look at the repair section in case you haven't already. At least you will have an idea of possible issues you may encounter.

sf280
11-03-2003, 04:22 PM
I have had a couple of things replaced / updated on my car. Overall I really like the car, just some annoying things that I am glad I have had the warranty for.

1. Lower Control arm replaced - suspension was making some weird noises so they replaced it.

2. Transmission Module - basically the car was shifting not right - sometimes a little abrupt - so i got to know the Foreman and he said, well in 2000 they came out with an update, so I will "find" a problem and get this corrected before it becomes a problem.

3. Harmonic Balancer - this went out on my car and then caused a little damage to the oil pan. This is something that needs to be looked at in any V6 MB. It is a very common problem and could be major $$$ if not under warranty.

4. Check Engine light came on, and they replaced the MAS - cause of this I am not sure, but once again it was covered.

5. I currently having an issue with the Fiber Optics that connect the Phone and CD Changer. This is not covered by Starmark, so most likely I will just by a new Headunit with a single CD - since I really did not use Changer much and never ever used the phone.

Other than that - truly the car is good and I do enjoy it and it is very solid. I just am beginning to think that paying $200 a month to park it is a lot and I cannot leave it on the street since I guess I like it too much.

jnolte
11-03-2003, 05:35 PM
Basically let me put it this way. I just totaled my C36 this month and i am looking for another W202!!!

Denlasoul
11-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Like any car, it really depends on the care. I would suggest really looking for a good car. As much as possible, get one that is Starmarked and with a warranty. This may help you from getting future headaches. If the car does not have a warranty, go with an independent company that sells them (contact 98_Benzo, he sells them). At least if something major goes wrong, you may be covered and not pay out of pocket.

Now, like most people you may want to jump on a car that is really affordable. I would try and stay away from that. Most cars in that situation may have a problem lurking around. If anything, see if a mechanic can check it out for you.

In terms of maintenance, if you have a relatively good conditioned car (mechanical), then just keep up with the major services. Since this car will be a commuter, it will be espeically important that regular services be done. I am also assuming, you are not planning on moddifying the car. That's good b/c it will eliminate the problems that occur when one changes something. :)

If you start modding (which we all know you will), make sure you know what you are doing (or hire someone who does).

Good luck,

DLS

randy@5280wheel
11-04-2003, 06:51 AM
Thanks everyone for the replies thus far!

Based on the replies I'm seeing, it appears that the 202 has no more (or fewer) problems than my Audi. Seems to be mostly small, irritating issues that don't necessarily compromise the car's overall function, but are more than anything inconvenient. I will definitely search for a well maintained car with Starmark- I'll have to sort out a good shop here in Colorado! =) I'm just starting my search, and hope to be able to make my purchase at the begining of the new year- Part of the agreement I made with my wife was that I'd at least wait until the baby gets here.

So... With that said, I do indeed plan on modding whatever car I pick up to some degree. Nothing too major- Wheels, suspension, exhaust, and some aesthetics changes- I'd like to keep engine mods minimal to keep retain reliability. With regards to mods, will the Starmark warranty be impacted as a result?

randy@5280wheel
11-04-2003, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by sf280
Interested in a 99 C280 with 30K miles with Starmark warranty? I am considering selling this since I no longer have my job. It has had some issues but all have been covered by Starmark - and I still have 2 years and 70,000 miles on the warranty, so it would be good for a daily driver. I am just looking to get a car that I can park on the street without worries.

How much are you looking for? =)

randy@5280wheel
11-04-2003, 06:55 AM
Originally posted by kameraguy
Welcome Randy! Glad you made it :)

btw- have a look at the repair section in case you haven't already. At least you will have an idea of possible issues you may encounter.

Thanks Christian! I'll definitely search through the repairs forum to hopefully get an idea of what people are experiencing. I'll be sending you some email soon on some other questions I have =)

randy@5280wheel
11-04-2003, 06:57 AM
Originally posted by jnolte
Basically let me put it this way. I just totaled my C36 this month and i am looking for another W202!!!

'Nuff said! =)

randy@5280wheel
11-04-2003, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Like any car, it really depends on the care. I would suggest really looking for a good car. As much as possible, get one that is Starmarked and with a warranty. This may help you from getting future headaches. If the car does not have a warranty, go with an independent company that sells them (contact 98_Benzo, he sells them). At least if something major goes wrong, you may be covered and not pay out of pocket.

Now, like most people you may want to jump on a car that is really affordable. I would try and stay away from that. Most cars in that situation may have a problem lurking around. If anything, see if a mechanic can check it out for you.

In terms of maintenance, if you have a relatively good conditioned car (mechanical), then just keep up with the major services. Since this car will be a commuter, it will be espeically important that regular services be done. I am also assuming, you are not planning on moddifying the car. That's good b/c it will eliminate the problems that occur when one changes something. :)

If you start modding (which we all know you will), make sure you know what you are doing (or hire someone who does).

Good luck,

DLS

Thanks for the tip on the warranty! If I can't find a Starmark car when the time comes, I'll definitely check with 98_Benzo to see what the going rate is on an extended warranty!

BTW- How do you like the C43?

sf280
11-04-2003, 07:10 AM
Originally posted by randy@5280wheel
How much are you looking for? =)

I sent you an email.

Denlasoul
11-04-2003, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by randy@5280wheel
BTW- How do you like the C43?

Do you even have to ask? :)

Love the car. I plan on keeping it forever.

randy@5280wheel
11-04-2003, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Denlasoul
Do you even have to ask? :)

Love the car. I plan on keeping it forever.

I had a feeling you'd say that =)

c230kompresssed
11-05-2003, 10:47 AM
the C43 is byfar the nicest car AMG has tuned...

but my kompressor is fun too.

fastmayte
11-06-2003, 12:41 PM
since u're comming from vw/audi, any car would be soo much better. i had a 99 vw, and i had problems before i drove it off the vw dealership. i traded it in even for my 95 c220 after it cost the warrantee company about 10,000 in repairs. (thank god for extended). yea they'r pissed at me.

my c220 is a daily driver, it's great, since u're comming from an audi, u wown't get the handling or nible feel. but reliability is way better, atleast u know whats wrong when something is wrong and it's easily fixable. if it's gonna be a daily driver, u might wanna stay away from amg cuz of the expencive parts.
good luck, and welcome