PDA

View Full Version : Turbo C36

cian36n
11-03-2003, 05:38 PM
Hey Guys,
I was thinking about a custom turbo kit onto my 95 C36. Since the engine is pretty well built by AMG, forged everything, etc., I was thinking that a low boost kit would do wonders for this engine. I was thinking a single turbo (garrett gt25) with about 6 lbs and lots of tuning. Have you guys heard anything like this before (besides the guy from scottsdale motoring), and what do you think?

moebiusgold
11-03-2003, 06:50 PM
I think that going even to 6 PSI is going to call for lower compression or more than 92 octane. My next guess is that the cams are a long way from optimum for a turbo. I would think that 3 or 4 PSI would get you back to just below sea level where 92 would still work. You'd have to stay away from the lowlands... or be willing not to step on it. With Reg. Unleaded motors you can lean on them more because you have a lot less compression to start with. For what it would take to do it right, you could probably buy a used Kompressor. Good luck.

jnolte
11-03-2003, 07:23 PM
Kinda high milage for a turbo or S/c

speedybenz
11-03-2003, 07:29 PM
I don't know too much about Turbo's but I would think that the extra compression would be a benefit as it would help low rpm power and create extra atomization of the mixture on boost.

You would most likely have to retard timing a lot due to the higher compression and better air/fuel burn rate. But the later you can ignite the fuel the better power you make.

Jeff

moebiusgold
11-03-2003, 07:54 PM
Get a really good intercooler and keep an eye on all those temps etc. When you figure out how to modify the base fuel curve without buying a $$ tuner chip, let me know. I have had lots of friend s who attempted this over the years. Only one with out extensive lowered compression, 8.0 lived for any appreciable time. It usually went like this. Lots off "Tuning mistakes" along the way = $$. Got it sorted out. Would work fine for as much as 5 to 10 Sec WOT. Then time would pass and they'd get greedy and either cruise at extended high rates of speed or hold it wide open for a lot longer than normal. The one that lived ws a 240 Z single turbo SU carb with water injection and a ZX rear end. It was totally babied. Oil every 1k, never moved until all temps were in norm. It saw WOT for 10 sec. only a couple of times in 80k. The guy that he sold it to pushed the head gasket out in 3 days. My stuff has to be near bulletproof. If its there, I'm going to use it sooner or later...

cian36n
11-03-2003, 09:01 PM
I have talked to a few custom turbo guys around the state, and all of them seem very excited with the project. I have talked to them about the 10.5 to 1 compression ratio and the fuels that we have here in the states. They have all replied to me intercooler and low boost, and thats what my plan in the first place was. My brother (also custom turbo fabricator) and I looked into the internals of the C36...what we found (seems to be true, but may not be) we were very ecstatic about. It looks as though the M104 engine in the 36 has forged pistons, rods, underskirt oilers, and a knife edged crank. We also found out that the C36 was the first year AMG to come factory (since now coupled with MB) with chassis strengthening. We also found that it has antiping technowlodgy, which would work well with the boost, as it would send more fuel in with the air. And as for the timing, we are looking into a fully programable stand alone timing computer. Most every one of my friends that have turboed their cars have enjoyed them well, but I am really thinking about dropping the compression. More comments are appreciated.

CKlasse
11-04-2003, 12:35 PM
A mechanic at Murray's Motor Mercedes Benz in Denver has a turbo'd C36. It's running great on stock engine - T25, 5psi - C230K intercooler, oil cooler, and tranny cooler. :)

cian36n
11-04-2003, 03:59 PM
CKlasse,
How long has he had that kit on there and what are the some of the specs? If you know of course.

moebiusgold
11-04-2003, 05:40 PM
Denver and Flagstaff have about the same altitude, sounds like this mechanic at Murray's Motor Mercedes Benz in Denver needs a call. A couple Gal. of Turbo Blue or your favorite flavor per tankful could do lots of wonders too. May be cheaper than new slugs. Are the orig. Mahle or AMG or ? My bet is that they are big $ if you can even get a set of non American lower c/r pistons. I still want to know how you are going to integrate that controller in with the ECU. Heck, I wouldn't mind knowing a lot more what the ECU is really up to. If Tuners have done it I'm sure that there are some members out there who've manged to do it. I've seen different C/R's listed for '95 C-36s. 10.0 to 10.9 to 1. Euro's had 4 more HP. I have assumed it was from compression. Again, good luck and have fun trying it. Sounds like you're trying to go in the right direction. I tried to get the hot rod bug out of me with Hemis and Chevs and race cars and all I did was spend lots of money (Had some fun too). Now look, I bought a C36 and....

jnolte
11-04-2003, 05:49 PM
[\ Now look, I bought a C36 and.... [/B]

.........The rest is history???

J Irwan
11-04-2003, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by CKlasse
A mechanic at Murray's Motor Mercedes Benz in Denver has a turbo'd C36. It's running great on stock engine - T25, 5psi - C230K intercooler, oil cooler, and tranny cooler. :)

nice..
what is the spec...Ken..??

Regardz,

moebiusgold
11-04-2003, 08:07 PM
Hey J. I still got some it laying around. Lets see, 8 cars, 5 bikes, kart (kt100). They are mostly old stuff . There is a 73 450 SL (Bought for parts), 78 280 SEL (Yes) and stuff that doesn't belong mentioned here like a 69 Charger 500 4 Spd with a Moldex .5 stroker, Venolia 13.8 to 1, .720/.740 lift blah, blah.... The 280 is tolerable in the snow. I broke down and bought 4 studded snows last winter. With somewhere between 300 and 400K on it, I don't mind hitting the slopes with it.

Eurosport
11-04-2003, 09:12 PM
if i remember correctly Mosselman did mention that his turbo from c280's can be fitted to the c36's
been awhile since i researched turbo department though

now that i think about it
i miss the hissing from my twin turbo vr4
and of course 170mph with loaded car (4 peeps)!

cian36n
11-04-2003, 09:19 PM
Its beginning to sound like the man in Denver is the guy to get a hold of before I get my hopes up. I dont know the brand of the piston, but I bet they are technically "AMG" and I do know that they are forged. I havent really lookeed into exactly how we are going to integrate with the ECU, but that should be later on in the project...right about the time that I get the money! I tried to get the hod rod bug out of me with my '87 300d turbo, hahah.

CKlasse
11-04-2003, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
nice..
what is the spec...Ken..??

Regardz,

That's something I would have to ask him.

Three Point 6
11-11-2003, 10:31 PM
I did a post on this before & it has been seen by many. Check it....

http://www.silcom.com/~neilv/C36turbo/index.htm

Brabus
11-12-2003, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by Eurosport
if i remember correctly Mosselman did mention that his turbo from c280's can be fitted to the c36's

That was Carl at Bergwerks who said that if someone wanted to be the "test" car, then they would try to fit that kit on with larger turbos...

36SlaMMed
11-12-2003, 12:45 PM
Well Carl is also asking a hefty amount to do the turbos, and its a test, so i dunno if its worth it.

Gary

J Irwan
11-12-2003, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by Brabus
That was Carl at Bergwerks who said that if someone wanted to be the "test" car, then they would try to fit that kit on with larger turbos...

Actually if I remember correctly

2phast were also looking at Mosselman kit for his C36, so he called willy in HQ for Mosselman.
ANd Willy mentioned that there are 3 C36's in Netherland running Mosselman Turbo (C280 kit)...

Maybe Rik himself can correct me ...

I remember this, since back then (Benzsport) I myself were also considering this kit at one times since the price that we could get is pretty good from our connection JRE320 ;)

Regardz,

714guy
11-12-2003, 10:37 PM
Originally posted by J Irwan
Actually if I remember correctly

2phast were also looking at Mosselman kit for his C36, so he called willy in HQ for Mosselman.
ANd Willy mentioned that there are 3 C36's in Netherland running Mosselman Turbo (C280 kit)...

Maybe Rik himself can correct me ...

I remember this, since back then (Benzsport) I myself were also considering this kit at one times since the price that we could get is pretty good from our connection JRE320 ;)

Regardz,

Yeah i remeber 2phast talkin about that in the good o days. Any ways I have a big winter project coming up this winter, Me and my friend am goin to fab/install a kit for his Es300, its a v6 5sp. It should be very fun and educational for me. Me and him are experimentin with his car b4 messing with his other car. I'll let you guys know how it goes. I can't wait till schools out